Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=wavy;957178]Sudo
    I was working on a friends computer that would not load Google.com among other sites.
    I was thinking Browsersafeguard.exe might have had something to do with this as it sets itself up as a proxyserver, but may have been a corrupted DNS cache. The sight I visited Bleepingcomputer.com had this:
    This did not sound at all malicious and I left in installed. The link you sent gives me some second thoughts.
    Thanks

I use HitmanPro.alert which protects any browser that I open up and you may want to install CryptoPrevent which is also referenced and linked in the article http://www.thewindowsclub.com/hitman...rt-review-free

I'd also seen that bleepingcomputer.com article as well so something didn't seem right, but I prefer to side on precaution.

Thanks

I am rather leery of Hitmanpro, IF my memory serves me I had to do my only restore in 11 years after playing with that. My memory is not my strong point and I might have got a corrupt file. On recs here I will look into it again.

And is it just me or is the thankyou button missing???

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's only a recent instalment for me, having learned about it on another forum, but it hasn't caused me any problems and pops up to say everything is okay almost as soon as I click on the e to open IE.

This is different to HitmanPro which is a paid for scanner
    http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro whereas the .alert one is a freebie browser guard - which doesn't redirect

You are correct, removing the Thank you button was one of the "improvements" to the New Lounge.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a phone call from a friend who could not load google.

I suspected that she was getting DNS servers from her router and that these DNS servers were polluted, and got her to change her PC network settings to use a selection of manual DNS servers and her problem went away immediately.

Not sure if that is the same problem as reported above...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Protopia View Post
    I had a phone call from a friend who could not load google.

I suspected that she was getting DNS servers from her router and that these DNS servers were polluted, and got her to change her PC network settings to use a selection of manual DNS servers and her problem went away immediately.

Not sure if that is the same problem as reported above...
    No, the problem was due to a malicious toolbar redirecting - Browsersafeguard which the link in Post #29 describes.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    No, the problem was due to a malicious toolbar redirecting - Browsersafeguard which the link in Post #29 describes.
    I reread those posts again, and nothing in those posts says that BrowserSafeguard was definitely the cause. The link says that this is software which prevents uninstalls. Other research suggests that this is software which shows web ads and possibly redirects web pages - but there is nothing in any post here which shows that this was the cause of google.com not being accessible.

So, Browsersafeguard might have been the cause - then again it might have been something else entirely.

Certainly, Browsersafeguard doesn't sound like software you want to run on your computer though. So removal would probably be a good thing even if it doesn't fix your google.com issue.

Thanks
    Browsersafeguard has piggyback installs that ride along with it, a Conduit software is one of those, it's a Search hijacker: http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Softw...1-program.aspx

Thanks
    You are correct, removing the Thank you button was one of the "improvements" to the New Lounge.

Need I say dopey??
    And avatars are now MIA too??
    Last edited by wavy; 2014-06-24 at 13:32. Reason: sp

Lounger
    Thanks
    This discussion is getting somewhat off topic. The topic of this thread is "DNS reliability and performance", and not about browser redirects caused by malware toolbars or viruses.

Thanks

mea culpa
    I promise to reform

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well - mea culpa also - I contributed to the digression!!! :-(

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have we all kissed and made up now

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well wavy and I have. Ž~~~~~~~~~~