2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop.ini on Startup

Good morning fellow Lounge members. I run Win 7, 64bit. A week or so ago I was installing a new program (not sure what one it was) and during the install I got a message from WinPatrol that something wanted to change my desktop. I declined. Ever since then everytime I start up I get a Notepad txt file as shown below and I have to delete it. I looked on the web and found nothing except that I should use Folder Options and make sure all files were hidden. They are. I then went to where the txt file says it is located: C\Users\James\Desktop and located in this folder is the same Desktop.ini file. My understanding is that this is created via BIOS at every startup. It's not that serious but it is somewhat annoying. Any suggestions how to stop this behavior.

C:\Users\James\Desktop\desktop.ini.txt

[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21787

desktop-paint.png

Thanks
    CCleaner can show you what is set for automatic startup and let you deactivate or delete those things without removing programs, and I typically just altogether delete desktop.ini files. So, maybe begin with CCleaner and at least stop whatever is going on.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Desktop.ini I believe is created everytime you login. It isn't an option in ccleaner or anywhere else that I can see. Everything on the web says to go to Folder Options, View and select Don't show hidden files, etc as well as Hide protected operating system files. I think this may have something to do with the path, that this ini file when created should be sent somewhere else rather than my desktop. Hopefully someone has some sort of solution.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It could still be something in your Startup menu that is responsible and running a clean boot could identify it if that is the case.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Desktop.ini files can be found in lots of folders...not just your desktop folder. They tell Explorer how to display the folder and its contents. As with any .INI file, the default application is notepad. So you can double-click any Desktop.ini file on your computer and it will open in notepad and look similar to the one you've posted.
    I think two things may have happened:
    1. Your aborted installation was in the process of creating the application's desktop icon when you killed it. That probably corrupted the Desktop.ini file in your Desktop.
    2. During one of your startup launches of notepad, you may have saved the file. So now it's Desktop.ini.txt.

As leejosepho said, it is probably safe to delete both Desktop.ini and Desktop.ini.txt. And you are correct that Windows will probably create a new one when it needs to.

I don't understand what is "starting" your Desktop.ini file during system boot-up. Any of the start-up analyzers may be able to tell you that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
    I don't understand what is "starting" your Desktop.ini file during system boot-up. Any of the start-up analyzers may be able to tell you that.
    There is where CCleaner could likely show what is going on.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, many times reading a CD or DVD disc in Windows Explorer will show the desktop.ini, wants to have it added/burned to the disc which can't happen with Read Only discs.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input, I'll look around using your suggestions. Just to be clear, everytime I start-up my computer and I login, my desktop loads and there is this ini file looking at me. I keep on deleting it but that doesn't fix it. I think what riffraff says about me aborting a program is what caused this. I just think that the path is wrong. When your computer creates this desktop.ini file it normally goes somewhere else (documents/desktop?) and not to the desktop itself. Thanks for the ideas, much appreciated.