New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 download problem

Hi, I downloaded the infamous KB2919355 and my HP laptop now won't turn off unless I force it to by holding down the power button. As the computer was only 6 months old, I went back to the supplier and was told that HP and Dell computers were affected like this and the only fix was to un-install 8.1 and re-install it. They said they couldn't do it for me as they don't have sufficient downloads. I only have 4GB per month, and it would use my entire monthly download to install 8.1. Also, as an older user, I am not overly confident with un-installing my operating system. Does anyone know if it is correct that this is the only way my problem can be fixed? Regards,
    GinaR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gina - That sounds a bit drastic !

As uninstalling and ignoring the update isn't an option as it's a requirement for future updates and as the laptop is still under warranty, I would suggest contacting HP tech support.

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/contact-hp/support.html

I don't know how their tech support works but they may need to take remote control of your laptop if they have an alternative workaround.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 download problem

Dear Sudo15. Thanks for your reply to my post re problems with my notebook after installing update. I will contact HP as you suggest, but will have to wait til tomorrow as it is a public holiday here and they aren't available today.
    Regards GinaR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gina - you didn't need to create a second thread for your reply and could have added it to your original one so as not to double post.

I would have thought that HP tech support would have been available 7 days a week but enjoy your public holiday

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo15. Thanks for the info re creating a second thread when replying. I hope this is how I should do it. I have a lot to learn about the Lounge and computers in general. GinaR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No problem Gina - we all started there and are still on the learning curve

Perhaps one of the Mods could merge and edit to the relevant posts with http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...wnload-problem