Star Lounger
    Thanks

enable pae on old dell 8600

Hello,
    I'm trying to reuse this old dell laptop 8600 pentium M .
    I want to put linux on it, but each time I use whats suggested, it pops up cpu can't handle it pae not enabled.
    I've tried the bcdedit cmds but they won't /// How to access the /pae path in boot.cfg/??

Any help/suggestions most appreciated.
    John in Dallas
    Last edited by lonestarone; 2014-06-05 at 16:22.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Which version of Linux? I have a Dell Inspiron 700m I just put Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon on because it won't accept later PAE versions. It works just fine and probably will put it on a Dell Inspiron 600m. Seems the Centrino/Pentium M computers have the problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried mint 12 lts no luck still pae required!! There should be a way to enable /pae switch in boot.ini...With sp2/sp3 these options were added ie dep. that's enabled that should pass pae ????

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Keep in mind that installing Linux wipes out WinXP so anything that worked in WinXP will be immaterial in Linux. I always download the .iso file and use it to create the CD or DVD, boot to it and see if what I need works. I have run versions of LiveCD/LiveDVD without an HDD/Hard Disk Drive in the computer. If things work I install Linux from the icon on the Desktop. Linux Mint comes with Firefox and a version of LibreOffice so most things are covered but do need to check that the Wi-Fi and Sound work, had support for them for my 700m.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-06-05 at 17:04.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Star Lounger,
    Thanks for help. But mint 13 won't install ...sys errrs cfg802011 what ever that means..Won't even run the dvd..
    Is this laptop beyond use? I won't connect xp to the internet....don't want infections to my network !! I do have ubuntu 7.10 installed but it's so old and beyond support won't update....None of the linux forums answer this topic...They have no idea which distros will work!!!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestarone View Post
    I tried mint 12 lts no luck still pae required!! There should be a way to enable /pae switch in boot.ini...With sp2/sp3 these options were added ie dep. that's enabled that should pass pae ????
    Will this article help https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestarone View Post
    Star Lounger
    A large number of members are identified by that, look just above it to get the poster's screen name, easier to identify who you mean the reply for.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "But mint 13 won't install ...sys errrs cfg802011 what ever that means"
    I tried Linux Mint website to investigate sys errror cfg802011 and there weren't any responses at all
    Then I tried the same search for XP and there were plenty of hits; none of which I could relate to your situation yet
    --- So far to me that means it's an issue from your XP computer
    I did find a link for Lubuntu that claims it's an excellent alternative for low spec XP's

I hope Sudo15's link will be helpful for you

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could also check out http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%...%20Release.htm
    --- They have a Linux kernel 3.4.82 for non-PAE build

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi-Star Lounger,
    Well I thought that pae page would help. But, 7.10 ubuntu was/is so old and not working the terminal was so wonky I didn't know if the scripts took or not...what did happen grub is now dead. System won't boot period.. So that terminal stuff I used corrupted grub. I 'll try pupy and see if it corrects grub???
    Thanks for all your help...So much for the linux forums!!! NONE have responded!!!

Thanks
    I use LMDE Mate (386 and not 686) on my old Dell notebook that cannot handle PAE, and there are some versions of Puppy that can go either way.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello - Guys,
    Well nothing has worked so far....Lmde 386 wouldn't load plymouth. Just stalled. I don't understand puppy well enough to attempt it....Can't d/l anything... Guess this old laptop is ready for recycle bin!!!!
    I really appreciate all you help here..The only ones ,too!!
    John in Dallas

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well -Guys,
    Guess I spoke too soon...lmde finally decided to install and works....Slow but hey a 10 yr old laptop, only 512 ram, who cares.
    It does work , that's all I wanted...
    Thanks all who stayed with me and wanted to help..Most appreciated!!
    John in Dallas

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lonestarone For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-06-08)

Thanks
    Cool beans.