Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 11 inline updating is it safe

I am sure we are all accustomed to watching updates to Windows going through the steps of downloading then creating a restore point and then installing the update - usually successfully.
    When something goes wrong with an update you can restore to the restore point taken before the update, or even delete the update in question.
    What is the situation with IE11 (and I think also IE10) of the online updates going ahead.
    Is there a restore point taken. I have been unable to detect one.

So is it safe to allow IE11 to update online?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Internet Explorer updates are handled through Windows Updates.

Which option are you considering?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The option that you get when you click Help in the command line and select About Internet Explorer.
    It says Install new versions automatically.
    When this is checked it appears that updates for IE are processed despite you selecting not to process regular updates automatically but wanted to be notified or downloaded and notified.
    Does this make it clearer to what I am referring?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When I first upgraded to IE 10 and saw that auto update box, I unchecked it because I also prefer to decide what is auto updated and never received the update notification for IE 11 until I re-checked it.

I gave IE 11 a try but found there were compatibility problems with my ISP e-mail accounts, so I uninstalled it and reverted to IE 10 and unchecked the box, but had to hide the IE 11 update when I got an almost immediate notification for it.

I no longer have notifications for IE 11 with the box unchecked so you are okay to go ahead and uncheck that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As IE11 upgrades are delivered by Windows Update, I believe a restore point would be created:

If you've agreed to receive automatic upgrades to Internet Explorer, the latest version of the browser for your operating system will be installed by Windows Update when it's available.
    Install new versions automatically

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    As IE11 upgrades are delivered by Windows Update, I believe a restore point would be created:

If you've agreed to receive automatic upgrades to Internet Explorer, the latest version of the browser for your operating system will be installed by Windows Update when it's available.
    Install new versions automatically
    Do you have proof that a restore point is made or not?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    When I first upgraded to IE 10 and saw that auto update box, I unchecked it because I also prefer to decide what is auto updated and never received the update notification for IE 11 until I re-checked it.

I gave IE 11 a try but found there were compatibility problems with my ISP e-mail accounts, so I uninstalled it and reverted to IE 10 and unchecked the box, but had to hide the IE 11 update when I got an almost immediate notification for it.

I no longer have notifications for IE 11 with the box unchecked so you are okay to go ahead and uncheck that.
    I do not like it when at the point of shutting down you have to wait for an unspecified update to install and then possibly (although I do not believe that the updates to IE11 require one) restart to get a clean start next time.
    I will be unchecking this option and using the manual update check and install procedure.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacNala View Post
    No.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not like it when at the point of shutting down you have to wait for an unspecified update to install and then possibly (although I do not believe that the updates to IE11 require one) restart to get a clean start next time.
    I will be unchecking this option and using the manual update check and install procedure.
    If you don't have any problems with IE 11, it's always better to use the latest version of a browser for security reasons - although that doesn't seem to apply to IE with the Zero Day Exploits that are surfacing, but even though IE 10 is still supported, I would still use IE 11 if it wasn't for the compatibility problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm not sure about Windows Defender/MSE definition updates but when other updates are installed by Windows Update a restore point is always made. If you are unsure just check the list of restore points after installing updates.

Joe