New Lounger
    Thanks

Viewing images from a Flash Drive and portable hard drive

I am using a new laptop with Windows 8.0. I am having some difficulty with it. I was asked to post my question by Woody, who is on vacation right now. I used Windows 7 on my last laptop and loved it. I would plug in a flash drive into a USB port on the old Windows 7 laptop. I have always been able to click on a folder and click the first image in it. I would see a left and right arrow at the bottom middle of the image, above the taskbar. I would click on either button (usually the right button) and proceed to view every image in the folder. I could click on a button and turn the image sideways, upside down, until I was back at the original view. I could expand the image by rolling my mouse wheel.

Right now, I can open the folder, click on the first image, and view it. I cannot expand the image with the mouse wheel. I do not see the left or right arrow to view each image in the folder. I cannot turn the image. I only see a - and a + sign in the bottom right corner of my screen. If I click on these two buttons, I can enlarge or minimize the image. It is nothing like I have had in Windows 7 or XP.

My question is this: Is this the only way I can view a folder from a USB drive? I purchased Woody's 2014 Windows 8 book. I keep looking in the text but I am not finding the answer I need. I have never had trouble plugging in a flash drive and viewing images in a folder.

If someone can help me, I would appreciate it very much. I am having the same trouble viewing my folders on my portable hard drive.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds a lot like you were using Picasa photo viewer or something very similar. If you have Picasa installed on the desktop you should be able to right click on a photo no matter where it is and select Open With>Choose default program..., and see if Picasa Photo viewer is in the list. If it is, click on it and it will become the program that gets used for opening that type of image from that point on. If you have images with different extensions such as .bmp or .jpg or .png, etc., you may need to choose the default program once for each different extension.

Thanks
    You were most likely using Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 7. It is still available in Windows 8, but is no longer the default viewer. You can change this following F.U.N.'s procedure. I've changed my default viewer to Windows Photo Viewer, as well. If I actually want to do any photo editing, I open such a program and open the photo I wish to edit from there.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    ... or just update to Windows 8.1 (inc. Update 1):

Windows 8.1 Update 1 is smarter. If you double-click an image to open it on the desktop and your PC doesn’t have a touch screen, it will open in Windows Photo Viewer in a window on your desktop. Normal Windows users shouldn’t have to change their file associations in the Control Panel anymore.
    Screenshot Tour: What’s New in Windows 8.1 Update 1

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, having just checked them out that's what it looks like it is, Picasa photo viewer seems like a fancy emulator of the Windows photo viewer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren,

I opened a folder and clicked on one image. The image appears. I right click on the image, but all I get is a black bar that rises from the bottom of the screen. I have three buttons: Rotate, Delete, and Set As. I tried clicking all over the image to no avail. Any suggestions?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not have Picasa installed on the desktop. I never expected to have any problem opening a folder and viewing images. I right click on an image and I am only getting a black bar appearing on the bottom with Set As, Delete, and Rotate as the only options. Any suggestions?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You have to right click on the image before it is opened so you can choose which program to open the image with and make it the default. Right now it sounds like you are using a horrible horrible useless...horrible app!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Like F.U.N. said, right-click on the image filename, click on "Open with" and select Windows Photo Viewer. If Windows Photo Viewer isn't listed, select "Choose default program...", then scroll to Windows Photo Viewer. Make sure the box is checked to set it as the default.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows