3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I block 'Mail' in Win 8.0

My wife's laptop is infected with Windows 8.0, came that way even though I tried to get it fumigated by Asus. So at length I managed to get it to look like Win 7 and although she was not entirely thrilled she was able to find her way around. However, there remains one bug that I'd like to squash. When she clicks on an e-mail address in a Webpage a white screen opens with "MAIL Login to your Microsoft Account..." It opens full screen, No Taskbar, no Tray, no Maximize or Minimize buttons. She does not have, nor want a MS account, ever, so this causes alarm and despondency. She uses G-mail, and has no interest in learning any other. It is possible to get rid of this screen with the Windows key, (or Task Manager to stop Mail, but that's way too complicated for her). Is there ANY way of rooting out this Mail program that MS is so desperate to invoke?

Thanks,

David

Thanks

Thanks
    Just uninstall the metro mail app if it's not being used, along with many others in/on the start screen;
    1. Right click on the app in the start screen and select uninstall.
    2. Swipe the lower section of the start screen to bring up a list of installed metro apps, do the same as above for each one.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    1. Right click on the app in the start screen and select uninstall.
    Does that mean my start screen is messed up if I don't get a context menu or do I have something locked? Only thing that happens when I right click is the tile is highlighted with a little check in the upper right corner. I can drag tiles around and start the app but little else it seems (W8.1.1).

Incompatible theme it is then!
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2014-06-13 at 14:00.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Does that mean my start screen is messed up if I don't get a context menu or do I have something locked? Only thing that happens when I right click is the tile is highlighted with a little check in the upper right corner. I can drag tiles around and start the app but little else it seems (W8.1.1).
    See http://www.askvg.com/fix-context-men...n-windows-8-1/

Jerry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

F.U.N. downtown (2014-06-13)

Thanks
    I suggest that you install one of the "desktop" addins (StartIsBack, Start 8, Classic Shell), to make Windows 8.0 look and act like Windows 7.

Based on your original comments, I believe you would be very happy with Windows 8.0 if you went with one of those addins.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have already installed Classic Start (I think that's the name) so she has a Win 7 type start menu. Mail is listed under All Programs, but uninstall is not an option. Clint, I brought up the tiles, but Mail isn't one of the tiles so no way to uninstall there. I looked at Jerry's suggestion, the youtube clip seems to be the way to go, but haven't had the chance to install the program yet.

David

Thanks
    On the start screen just start typing mail. The program you are referring to will appear in the list. Just right click and uninstall. Simples! Indeed, it looks like any program (sorry, app) can be uninstalled this way, even desktop ones.

This is 8.1, I'm not sure if it is the same in 8, but 8.1 is so much better than 8 anyway. It's what MS should have started with.