Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightning problems

Thursday a bolt hit our utility shed and blew out the sides. It came from there to the house and blew out our switch box. It fried our TV, my modem and router, but my computer was on battery surge protectors and well as my wife's laptop. Since then, both have done some strange things. My desks top keeps telling me I need to validate Windows 8 since the copy I have is on another computer. So far I've ignored it but may have to call Microsoft and re-validate it. Some of the folders have disappeared in my wife's 2007 Outlook. She cannot delete mail she has read and I can't find a way to permanently get rid of it. I'm beginning to wonder if that bolt managed to weaken something in both computers and we need to turn this in to the adjuster who is coming today from the insurance company? The Fire Dept told us we probably would have to replace all the wiring in our house, but the switch box did its job and we had electricity restored Saturday afternoon. It was a direct hit though on the shed and the switch box there apparently did not have a good ground wire or couldn't handle it so the lightning followed the 220 line to the house's breaker box.

IF that is not why my wife's laptop is having a problem with Outlook, how does one go about restoring lost folders and deleting mail that only puts a line through it but doesn't get rid of it.

Thanks.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If you had a strike that close you have probably suffered from induced surges as well as direct and unless you had a very high quality surge protector your computers are probably toast. The first thing I would do is re-load one machine from a recent image / backup. If you don't have one, now is the time to beg, borrow or steal another PC and backup the hard disk contents before any more problems arise. With any luck your insurance should cover the damage to the computers, you just have to prove their unwell first.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. The adjuster may be here tomorrow. I'll talk to him about both computers.