New Lounger
    Thanks

manual updates after format xp home sp3

hi
    i have a samsung netbook running xp home sp3 and it needs formatting bad i have the samsung recovery to factory settings disc Do i need to download all security patches,etc manually, or is there a way of saving what updates that are on the netbook now. Because i cant find a way I do run spybot ccleaner antimalware and AVG I will not ditch xp

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you've re-installed Windows, just run Windows Update the same as you've always done.

If you want to keep XP, you'll need also to download the update files from the Windows Update Catalog. That's a big job, so use WUD. Alternatively, use UDC, and use the results to make a slipstreamed Windows disk using nLite.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks i didnt know you could download xp updates upto expiry and i will look at WUD

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had another thought. IIRC, the last time I worked on a Samsung netbook, it had an excellent backup utility which uses another partition on your HD - I forget what it's called. If you have it, this is what I'd do:

1. Use the backup program to restore the factory image.
    2. Uninstall all the crapware that you don't want.
    3. Go to Windows Update and let Windows do its stuff. Make sure you're bang up-to-date, i.e., mid-April this year.
    4. Don't install anything else yet. Use the backup program to make an image of the Windows installation as it stands. Give it a name that makes sense to you, like (say) WinXP_SP3_allupdates.

Use that image whenever you need to reinstall. This also frees you from having to download and save the updates separately.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-06-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Appreciate what you are saying but this one hasnt got a recovery partition to restore Hence me getting hold of a samsung recovery disc However the rest you suggest is a solution thanks

Thanks
    This is what I would do if I needed to continue to rely on an XP based system;

1 After you clean install and decrapify an OEM installation, update it immediately with WU.
    (you should STILL be able to get all previous updates for XP via WU)
    2 Image the entire drive BEFORE you install the bulk of your programs.
    3 Look for updated drivers as this will be the best and most trouble free time to install them.
    4 Image the entire drive again.
    5 Install all of the programs you plan to use, and set up all personalizations.
    6 Image again for the last time.

With the use of imaging in this situation you will not need to worry about performing a clean install again.
    *Ensure the images are stored securely away from the main system on a external drive that you do not commonly use, and I would also burn them
    to a DVD disk as well if it will fit on a single DVD.
    *Keep the bulk of your data separate on another internal drive, and keep the primary drive XP installation lean.
    *Sure, you could download all updates manually, but with the above regimen you save valuable time by just restoring a clean image of something that had already been done.

Requirement:
    You need to have an imaging based backup regimen that you are confident and knowledgeable about using.
    (most people don't)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-06-28 at 01:37.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    This is what I would do if I needed to continue to rely on an XP based system;

1 After you clean install and decrapify an OEM installation, update it immediately with WU.
    (you should STILL be able to get all previous updates for XP via WU)
    2 Image the entire drive BEFORE you install the bulk of your programs.
    3 Look for updated drivers as this will be the best and most trouble free time to install them.
    4 Image the entire drive again.
    5 Install all of the programs you plan to use, and set up all personalizations.
    6 Image again for the last time.
    On step 1, I would do an image before starting the updates, in case one of them breaks your install of XP.