Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Recommend best free antivirus for Windows 7 PC?

Which one would you recommend?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    As Fred Langa has said: Microsoft Security Essentials is free, in widespread use, and it has proven itself in the real world. And on most systems, it has little effect on system resources.

That said, no software is ideally suited for every configuration. If one anti-malware tool doesn’t work well on your specific setup, then it makes perfect sense to try some other AV app. You have lots of options.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    A Google for best free av programs will give you a number of links such as http://freebies.about.com/od/compute...-antivirus.htm of which MSE is only 12th on the list of 18.

MS recommend that <=Win 7 users use an alternative AV program to MSE as it now only looks for the main "culprits" if I remember the article correctly, but I wouldn't recommend MSE anyway from posts I've seen where MSE has let things in.

It's true that no AV program is 100% effective because of what is out in the wild and depend upon spotting the Heuristics of such Malware, but some are better at it than others.

Thanks
    Best describe skill level, PC usage, whether multi user or not, infection history/types of infections removed etc. Only with further details can we be expected to give some reasonably accurate suggestions.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I personally use AVG 2014 Free. It's fast, easy to use (for me anyway), updates virus signatures fast, is rated high by computer magazines (higher than MSE), and comes in 32 and 64 bit flavors. I've been using AVG Free for years and have no complaints at all. Be careful though, the free version may try to install an AVG security bar to IE. Make sure you uncheck it if you don't want the bar. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    I recommend Avast if you want something free. It's been several months since I researched it, but last year it was at or near the top of the reviews.

Microsoft has admitted that they aren't putting much time and effort into MSE. It's better than nothing, however, and it's basically set and forget, so if I know that a user is not going to do anything in terms of upkeep on their antivirus program, I install MSE. It's better than nothing.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I think Avast seems to be very decent at that moment...the best A-V of course is organic and located above your neck.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try AVG or Immunet 2014 - Below are the download links for these free antivirus softwares:

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage
    http://www.immunet.com/free/index.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Avast is excellent, and very configurable.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

I personally have had excellent luck with AVAST combined with Malwarebytes' Antimalware. Both of these are the free versions. (In fact, AVAST just detected malware in a website I was visiting.)

Before you make a decision, I'd recommend checking pcmag.com, pcworld.com, and cnet.com. Occasionally, they mention other sites--so far these, for example Major Geeks, have been safe to visit.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Best describe skill level, PC usage, whether multi user or not, infection history/types of infections removed etc. Only with further details can we be expected to give some reasonably accurate suggestions.
    Satrow, you make a good point.

Thanks

Computeractive Magazine - Security Software Reviews

In the most recent edition of Computeractive Magazine published here in UK they thoroughly recommend Kaspersky and say that Microsoft Essentials simply isn't a competitor any more. Now, I hold no brief for Computeractive or Kaspersky, but I pass this on as it seems to be what the original questioner wanted to know, and the rest might like to think about it !
    Septuagent

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a look at the latest Summary report from av-comparitives.org. It shows that the top anti-virus performer is Kaspersky Lab. However, Kaspersky Lab is a paid-for product. The ‘top rated products’ are Bitdefender, ESET, F-Secure, Avast, BullGuard, Fortinet and Avira.

I used to use the free version of Avira but gave up when the adverts became too much. I changed to AVG but found the detection rate dropping in the last 18 months. I currently use the free version of Avast and find it meets my needs.

Thanks
    I also use Avast, and have for years - but!
    There is a good article about security at
    http://krebsonsecurity.com/tools-for-a-safer-pc/

and that's all free too!

ps I find that Krebs often alerts me to Windows updates the day before my computer program. Then I go to the update site and do a manual. Otherwise Windows update doesn't kick in until the next morning.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd give Bitdefender a try: http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html
    Microsoft's solution is okay and does run light, but as others have mentioned may not provide the best protection. Be sure you have your firewall turned on as well.
    You can also run a "companion" anti-virus along-side Microsoft. For example:
    http://www.immunet.com/free/index.html Immunet's free product. The "pro" version is discontinued, but they still offer the free one. I run it and it is not obtrusive.
    Malwarebytes is also a good companion tool, and runs alongside most A-Vs: https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast