Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I wonder if the OP might be able to set up Oracle VirtualBox with DOS as the OS. He might be able to print straight from the DOS program, without having to jump through any extra hoops.

Thanks

Or if nothing else use Print to File (set up as a printer).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I wonder if the OP might be able to set up Oracle VirtualBox with DOS as the OS. He might be able to print straight from the DOS program, without having to jump through any extra hoops.
    That's what he was doing in the first place, but it will only print to a file.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem will be that the printer is a Windows GUI device.
    Being a physical or virtual printer (like CutePdf), it won’t accept a series of ASCII codes that a DOS program will send to it.
    You need some program like DOSPrinter that converts the stream of ASCII codes (saved to a file) to the format the printer driver will accept.
    Remains a mystery how that DOS program can function/print on the other PC’s.

Thanks
    Does your DOS program use LPRINT? Are you able to access the code? You could use QB64 if it is a Qbasic program: http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php

Check the Print Processor setting on the computer. The Default Data Type for the listed printer must be Text, NOT LEMF

If you use other settings for other print work, you will need to change it back to LEMF.

Redirection may not work with wireless printers.

Thanks
    This problem is occurring on several printers which are installed and shared on the laptop.

I use the command net use lpt1 \\server\printer, the net use command shows all working correctly.

When I print from the dos program, a spool file is created and sent to the proper printer queue. The problem is it will not print. It always shows a print -error after a short amount of time.
    You CAN'T use a Laptop. 1) There is NO LPT printer port to redirect from.

Try using a SHELL command in QB to print a file using Notepad or use a batch file to do it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Win 7 64 bit on a Lenovo G560 with no physical LPT port. It's networked via router.

I'm running a WinXP virtual machine inside VirtualBox v 4.3.12

In the virtual XP, I run dBaseIII+

I have a Bat file on the XP desktop with the lines:

net use lpt1: \\xxxxdell\hplaserj /persistant:yes
    d:
    cd dbase
    dbase

xxxxdell is a dell D600 laptop running XP natively. The hplaserj is model 1320. It's connected to the Dell laptop via USB cable. It's on the same network as the Lenovo.
    (The Dell DOES have a physical lpt port, but I doubt that that matters).

The primary reason that we have the Dell running is that WIN 7 seems to have no end of problems sharing printers in a mixed environment. (I run XP inside virtual box, Ubuntu natively and virtually, etc.) XP likes to share. Win 7 not so much.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The HP 1320 handles PCL coding, so it can be used by DOS programs that support PCL printers.
    Your VirtualBox – WinXP combination is overkill.
    dBaseIII+ should run under vDos, http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdos.
    Starts dBase in a snap, integrates better with the Windows 7 host system and looks nice with a truly scalable font.
    You could also print to any Windows printer.

Jos

Thanks
    Yeah, XP works with DOS if it is 32 bit, just like Windows 7 can. 64 bit eliminates 16 bit programs without NTVDM.

Sure it matters. Your NET USE command sends the LPT data to the USB printer. You shouldn't have to run the NET USE command more than once. Did you check the Print Processor data setting?

Never did say what kind of DOS program you are using. Apparently not QB.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just sharing what works for me. YMMV

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You are correct that there is no LPT printer port. However the net use command does send the job to the print queue. It just refuses to print it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just discovered this thread, thanks to its listing in a recent Windows Secrets newsletter. Since 1998, I have been working with NET USE and all sorts of printers, with and without corresponding physical ports on the host machine, so I think I know a thing or two about what does and doesn't work.

There are quite a few things that can prevent a shared printer from working. The issues that I see most often are as follows.
    1. File and printer sharing must be enabled on both machines.
    2. The Windows Firewall on both machines must allow file and printer sharing across the local subnet.
    3. The machine that hosts the share (the machine named following the double backslash, must allow Everyone to have access to the share. You use the Permissions button to do so.
    4. Both machines must belong to the same Windows workgroup. This is set on the Properties pages of My Computer. If you change it, you must restart the machine for the change to take effect. This applies as well to the virtual XP machine on your Windows 7 host.
    David Gray, Chief Wizard
    WizardWrx
    Irving, Texas, USA

WizardWrx Web - Technical Articles and Free Software
    You are more important than any technology we may employ.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. The shared printer is a share from the same machine and the jobs are going to the print queue. I think the cause is somewhere else. I have managed to work around it but would still like to know why the spooled jobs refuse to complete the print process.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Exactly what do you mean by "same machine?" If the share is defined on the Dell, does it show up on the Windows 7 machine when you enter NET SHARE without arguments to display a list of shares? What about in the virtual XP machine?
    Last edited by TXWizard; 2014-06-21 at 01:03. Reason: Added another question
    David Gray, Chief Wizard
    WizardWrx
    Irving, Texas, USA

WizardWrx Web - Technical Articles and Free Software
    You are more important than any technology we may employ.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    to Recap:

I have a machine running XP (lets call it laptop) with no lpt port. I have a network printer (the same behavior problem exists with the cuteftp printer) set up and working fine. The printer is shared as "dellprinter".

I have used the command net use lpt1: \\laptop\dellprinter /persistent:yes

The net use command shows that the printer is available.

If I run a dos program from the cmd window, the program runs fine. It is old and only allows printing to the prn (LPT) port. When printing from the program;

If watching the print queue for dellprinter, the job can be seen spooling then attempting to print, but the print job always ends up with a print error.

Other jobs printed directly to the printer from windows based programs work fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast