Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    To recap:

You CAN'T use a Laptop. 1) There is NO LPT printer port to redirect from.

Try using a SHELL command in QB to print a file using Notepad or use a batch file to do it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I realize that there is no lpt port to redirect from. However, you can still use the net use lpt1 "printername". The redirect does in fact work in the fact that it spools the file and sends the spool file to the print queue. Maybe the fact that no lpt port actually exists has something to do with the fact that the spool won't print but it DOES send the spool file to the redirected printer.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burger2227 View Post
    To recap:

You CAN'T use a Laptop. 1) There is NO LPT printer port to redirect from.
    Right, most Notebooks/Laptops of the last few years don't have the Parallel Printer port, the only one I have left with the port is a Panasonic Toughbook CF-29, unfortunately it won't run any Windows newer than WinXP so will be putting a version of Linux on it soon.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Of course a laptop has LPT1/2/3. It just doesn't have the physical connector, that's all. And you can easily plug one in if you want.

I've used LPT1 many times on a Win7 laptop, where it wouldn't install a printer shared on an XP machine. I've had to install it as a local printer, change the port to LPT1, and use net use to redirect it. In fact, LPT1 is first choice for that very reason, i.e., it's not in use. And even if it were, I'd just use LPT2.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrown View Post
    I realize that there is no lpt port to redirect from. However, you can still use the net use lpt1 "printername". The redirect does in fact work in the fact that it spools the file and sends the spool file to the print queue. Maybe the fact that no lpt port actually exists has something to do with the fact that the spool won't print but it DOES send the spool file to the redirected printer.
    Therein is probably the crux of the OP's problem. The print file is spooled, and the printer driver needs to be set to use the spooler. On the Advanced settings page is a pair of linked radio buttons.

• One is marked "Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster."
    • The other button is labeled "Print directly to the printer."

You must select the first option.
    David Gray, Chief Wizard
    WizardWrx
    Irving, Texas, USA

WizardWrx Web - Technical Articles and Free Software
    You are more important than any technology we may employ.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123