3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Website restore error

A few days ago I followed the advice in the Windows Secrets Newsletter and installed the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit on my Win 7 Home Premium system (fully updated - at least until Tuesday's upcoming patches). Whether related or not, Win 11 stopped working, repeatedly telling me that there is a "website restore error" and then shutting down.

I finally tried to reinstall IE 11, but the message says that I already had a more advanced browser and would not install. I then followed the instructions to remove IE 11: going to the Control Panel > Programs and Features > view installed updates > Internet Explorer 11; then right clicking and selecting uninstall. After this, I rebooted as instructed and attempted to reinstall IE 11 - ending in the same state as before (flickering website restore error). I then followed the same procedure to remove IE 9 and tried the IE icon - again with the same result. This time there was no Inter Explorer version in the updates listing.

Fortunately I had Chrome installed on my system, so I am not web-less. However, I would like to get IE going, hopefully in its currently most secure version.

Any suggestions?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Following the advice in another thread in this forum, I first reset the options to default on IE 8 (which is where I was after two uninstalls as described above). That did not solve the problem, but it did allow me to reinstall IE 11. When I first tried IE 11, it exhibited the same behavior as originally led to my problem. However, I then did a Windows Update which installed two IE updates. After that, IE 11 worked.

Now, if it can stay working ....

globalist

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    p.s. From the other thread, it is possible that the original problem may have resulted from MalwareBytes, not EMET.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I TAKE IT ALL BACK. ON THE SECOND ATTEMPT TO USE IE 11, IT REVERTED TO THE PREVIOUS WEBSITE RESTORE ERROR STATE, AND I AM BACK WHERE I STARTED.

globalist

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Use your restore points to revert to prior that Toolkit installation and I think it would probably best to forget about reinstalling it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I had tried that a few hours ago, and the restore point failed - said it could not find a file it needed. That leads me to suspect that MalwareBytes removed a required file. I searched through the quarantined files and did not see an obvious one, but that could be difficult to tell (for me).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never heard of MBAM removing system files - only registry cleaners or tune up programs do that.

If Windows can't find a particular file then I don't think there would be much point in trying the restore points again in Safe Mode which is usually the next step when a restore reports that it has failed.

Run AdwCleaner to see if it finds anything and then open a command prompt as an administrator and run a sfc /scannow to see what that reports.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-09 at 17:04.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

globalist (2014-06-10)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've wasted the day on this and my other issue (intermittent internet connectivity), but at least this one seems solved: Following advice on a website, I installed WinZip Malware Protector and laboriously removed each of the about 300 items it identified, most in the registry. That still didn't do it (but I know I eliminated residue from some destructive malware that I worked on several months ago), but I then followed the second step of the advice to reset internet options, and that finally worked.

Back to some productive activity tomorrow, I trust.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad you were able to get it sorted so that you can get back to normal work.

The intermittent connectivity could be ISP line related if it still occurs when wired.