New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 download problem

Hi, I downloaded the infamous KB2919355 and my HP laptop now won't turn off unless I force it to by holding down the power button. As the computer was only 6 months old, I went back to the supplier and was told that HP and Dell computers were affected like this and the only fix was to un-install 8.1 and re-install it. They said they couldn't do it for me as they don't have sufficient downloads. I only have 4GB per month, and it would use my entire monthly download to install 8.1. Also, as an older user, I am not overly confident with un-installing my operating system. Does anyone know if it is correct that this is the only way my problem can be fixed? Regards,
    GinaR

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gina - That sounds a bit drastic !

As uninstalling and ignoring the update isn't an option as it's a requirement for future updates and as the laptop is still under warranty, I would suggest contacting HP tech support.

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/contact-hp/support.html

I don't know how their tech support works but they may need to take remote control of your laptop if they have an alternative workaround.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 download problem

Dear Sudo15. Thanks for your reply to my post re problems with my notebook after installing update. I will contact HP as you suggest, but will have to wait til tomorrow as it is a public holiday here and they aren't available today.
    Regards GinaR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gina - you didn't need to create a second thread for your reply and could have added it to your original one so as not to double post.

I would have thought that HP tech support would have been available 7 days a week but enjoy your public holiday

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo15. Thanks for the info re creating a second thread when replying. I hope this is how I should do it. I have a lot to learn about the Lounge and computers in general. GinaR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    No problem Gina - we all started there and are still on the learning curve

Perhaps one of the Mods could merge and edit to the relevant posts with http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...wnload-problem