Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Want to run PowerPoint show in window then quit app

I have 2 ppsx shows and noticed something bothersome. What I'm after is the "best" (for me) of both worlds.

It seems like you can run a show in full screen mode (presented by a speaker); at the end (after the black slide), the ppt/pps appl is exited and you're back in Windows.

You also can run a show in a window (presented by an individual); at the end (after the black slide), you're back in the ppt app.

What I would like is to run in a window, so I can do other things in Windows while running the show, but exit the ppt app when I'm done.

I've played with the Slide Show settings but don't see how to get what I want. Can this be done?

TIA

Fred

Thanks
    Fred,

Have you tried using the PowerPoint Viewer? HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG

Looks like you get around some. Nice seeing you over here too.

I think the problem with PPT viewer will be two-fold - maybe only one and that's the important one.
    - these are presentations to be used at school, so I can't download or install anything - certainly not in the PC's in the classrooms. Even if I could, it would be gone that night when anything put on the computer that day is deleted
    - per MS, "Note PowerPoint Viewer registers with the .ppt, .pptx, .pptm, .pot, .potx, .potm, .pps, .ppsx and .ppsm file extensions only if a version of PowerPoint is not installed on your computer. If registered, double-clicking on these file types will launch PowerPoint Viewer." - all the school computers have PPT (2010 or 2013?) loaded on them. Note sure I'd even be able to download it to my PC since I have PPT2010. I know I would not like, and I'm sure the school would not like, the above extensions being taken over by the Viewer. Since I've never used it before, I'm not sure if you can open a file from within the viewer. But first item above rules so it doesn't matter much.

Thanks.

Fred

Thanks
    Fred,

I just tried this on my machine to make sure it works and it does.

1. If PP is installed installing PPViewer does NOT take over the registered file extensions, e.g. double-clicking a .PPT or PPTX file will still start full PP.
    2. You just need to get the school to include PPViewer as part of their standard image so it won't get erased. This shouldn't be a problem since this is a FREE official MS product.
    3. You can have the viewer start the desired file from a shortcut (again added to the standard image) as follows:
    Shortcut Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\PPTVIEW.EXE" "d:path\your file name here.ppt"
    or if you just place a shortcut w/o a file name PPViewer will open up a standard file browser dialog that you can use to pick the file to use.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs