New Lounger
    Thanks

Clone versus Image

Could anyone please explain the disadvantages of making a clone as drive C backup. It's hardly ever mentioned. To me its the simplest backup. Every night I click on a desktop shortcut which makes a clone automatically (I use Casper), it only takes 5 minutes or so after which the PC shuts itself down. If the PC doesn't start the next morning due to failed drive etc. simply boot from the cloned drive or swap over the drive leads and you're up and running within a couple of minutes. Surely this is easier and quicker than finding and restoring from an image file.

Chris

Thanks
    Chris,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

If cloning works for you that's fine. The major difference is that you can only store one clone per backup drive whereas with an image you can store as many as will fit on a backup device because it uses compression and stores the image as a file. Another advantage to an image (depending on the software used) is the ability to restore the image to different hardware and have the software make the appropriate changes to drivers. When booting a clone it must be done on the same hardware. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    For me the downside to using a clone as a backup is the lack of options should you have an issue other than hard drive. Restoring to different hardware is a major advantage when you want your system back fast.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for your replies, I did accept that my clone would only restore onto the same hardware, but I didn't realise that using the correct software an image can be restored to new hardware. That's very useful info.

Chris

Thanks
    @clpratt: Yes, but see my comment #9 here:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ith-True-Image
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks

petesmst
    The Winki os that come w/ your MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus is in firm ware?

Thanks
    @wavy: Winki III is an MSI self-developed Linux distribution for MSI’s proprietary mainboards. The quick boot Winki III provides Live update, Internet browser, instant messenging, Skype, photo viewer and so on. Without entering Microsoft Windows, users still have access to basic programs that are frequently used.

The Winki OS software is provided on the motherboard driver/setup DVD. You can enter the Winki III OS from the MSI Motherboard utility DVD or a USB key installed with the Winki III OS. The user manual provides details as to how to set up a USB installed with the OS. You can then boot from it use Winki.
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks

petesmst
    Oh ok. I had read a while ago that some M/B where going to be made w/ an OS on ROM or NVRAM.
    That would have made the cycle complete: from Basic on Rom on XTs and 'back' to Linux .