Star Lounger
    Thanks

Port Conflict issue...Netgear WGT624 v.3

We have a security camera setup that we can monitor via our cellphones using an Android viewer from Zmodo. This setup was working 18 months until a few days ago when our ISP changed our IP address. We changed the IP address in our DVR and changed the IP address on our phones. However, the phone will no longer connect to our cameras.

I looked in the router and saw that the ports we had setup in port forwarding were no longer there. We made no changes to them in the 18 months that we had this setup. I saved/printed out what we had as a set up originally...a dvr using 8080 and dvr1 at 9000 because I am not very good with networking and routers for that matter. So, I went in to the port forwarding screen of the router and attempted to put the ports back the way they were so we could see the cameras remotely, but got port conflict error messages even tho' I attempted to put back exactly what we had in there that worked all this time.

I went to the Netgear site and found a post about this error message and someone suggested to turn off UPNP which I did. We rebooted the router, disconnected the DVR and tried all over again to get port forwarding to work, but no such luck. I am not able to add those port addresses that we used so successfully all this time. I would also add that I would have continued on to search the Netgear forums, but the posts are so old...and this router is so old. I didn't think this router was capable of WPA2 encryption, but the basic settings showed that capability so I updated the encryption, but I wouldn't think that would have affected anything.

I tried to update the firmware, but the router wouldn't find any new firmware. I would appreciate some suggestions as to how we can resolve this issue. Maybe I should just get an updated router rather then fix the dinosaur. Thanks.

Diane P.

Thanks
    Diane,

I'm no network genius but what I do in this type of situation is to reset the router to the factory defaults and then just setup everything all over again. Before trying this you may want to wait to see if the network gurus have an easier way to get you fixed up. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's what the hub says....but we renamed the services to dvr3 and dvr4 with the prior port settings of 8080 and 9000 and the router took it. I've got my fingers crossed to see if we can connect on our phones.

I hate doing reset to factory defaults BTW, but it maybe the only out here. I'll advise what happens next.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Once you have it running you should be able to save the configuration to disk. Makes restoring the router easy.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. As for saving the settings, I printed them out when I set up the router on Dec 14 2007 and I've done the same thing this time. It was fortunate that I still had them because the router has worked fine all this time with the settings it setup initially

We got the router running by changing the names of the services. The cameras are up and are accessible on our phones. I did change the encryption from WPA to WPA2, but the router also offers the option of running WPA & WPA2 at the same time. Is there any particular advantage to using both at the same time?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    WPA2 is the latest and most secure. If you can run all your gear using WPA2, then do not enable anything else.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you...I had set it to WPA 2 and left it there

D.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What Paul T meant when he said back up the configuration was that in the router you will/should have the option of Backup/Restore where it will copy the router's config (mine go into Downloads) - after say a factory reset or the router becomes buggy, you can use the Restore option to restore the router with a working config, although after a factory reset, it is usually better to set it up afresh but using Restore is a lot quicker.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesP View Post
    Thanks for your reply. As for saving the settings, I printed them out when I set up the router on Dec 14 2007 and I've done the same thing this time. It was fortunate that I still had them because the router has worked fine all this time with the settings it setup initially

We got the router running by changing the names of the services. The cameras are up and are accessible on our phones. I did change the encryption from WPA to WPA2, but the router also offers the option of running WPA & WPA2 at the same time. Is there any particular advantage to using both at the same time?
    The advantage to running both WPA & WPA2 at the same time is that it will allow devices to connect which are running either level of encryption. If you want to force every device that connects to use WPA2 (my preference), then select WPA2. If you have older devices which don't have WPA2 installed, but do have WPA, and you want to let them connect without having to upgrade them, then choose WPA & WPA2.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all who took the time to review my dilemma. I now know more about a router in the last 24 hrs than I did since I purchased it. Very grateful to know about backup/restore a configuration and the reason for the WPA/WPA2 combo.

My thanks to all of you.

Diane