2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Enlarging the D partition?

Hi guys. I'm running windows 7, 64 bit version on a Compaq Presario, 2Ghz with 4 gigs RAM. My "D" partition which is labeled as the "Factory Image" (see Capture.jpg). You'll see that it has 10.6 gigs with only 312 megs free. It didn't used to have that much of the space used up. Is there any easy way to enlarge the "D" partition without messing up everything else or do I really need to worry about it? I didn't think that the "factory image" should have grown any. Maybe there's something in there that I can safely remove? (See Capture1.jpg for what's in the partition).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shadow35; 2014-06-08 at 20:30.

Thanks
    Hi shadow35, I would leave it alone unless you have made the factory recovery discs.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner, I have made recovery discs. I was just worried that it had turned red indicating (I suppose) that the space was running low. It used to be blue like all the others and I didn't see why a factory image should have grown. I'll probably just ignore it unless it grows again and runs out of space. Thanks for the reply.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The System Volume Information Folder contains files for System Restore [not Factory Restore] and it might grow over time. The contents of the Recycle Bin will also increase as you delete things, good to right-click it and Empty Recycle Bin. Otherwise there really shouldn't be anything else stored on it. You can right-click the Recycle Bin icon and choose Properties then click the drive or partition in question and reduce the size of the bin, will free up some room, for example my C: 250GB HDD has 13966MB set and my D: 500GB has about twice that.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-06-08 at 22:36.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    We really need to know what's on the disk to give you recommendations, but you may be able to shrink C and add some to D using something like Paragon Partition Manager or EaseUS Partition Master (free for personal use).

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Rather than deleting any items I would suggest backing up your personal files, any paid for program product keys and doing a factory reset.

I wouldn't have expected to see the Recycle Bin in there but perhaps HP/Compaq do things differently.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-09 at 04:53.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need to show the size of the folders to work out where the space went. Try one of these.
    TreeSize free (my favourite)
    Folder Size

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Rather than deleting any items I would suggest backing up your personal files, any paid for program product keys and doing a factory reset.

I wouldn't have expected to see the Recycle Bin in there but perhaps HP/Compaq do things differently.
    I have 3 External USB HDDs and one has the Recycle Bin, another has a Recycler Folder and the third has neither. Custom Win7 computer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I just have a bog standard Toshiba Win 7 laptop and while I have a lot more items in mine than Shadow35's, it only takes up ~8GB - and no Recycle Bin.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I just have a bog standard Toshiba Win 7 laptop and while I have a lot more items in mine than Shadow35's, it only takes up ~8GB - and no Recycle Bin.
    The Windows Folder itself should be over 18GB on a standard installation, mine is just over 30GB. There's two Program Files [one has x86 on the name] if using a 64-bit version or only the one Program Files Folder on the 32-bit version, that's where most programs install. Every version of Windows since 95 [1995] has had the Recycle Bin but the icon may be missing from the Desktop or may be Hidden.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What I was saying is that I don't have an entry for the Recycle Bin in my D: Recovery partition files.

I'd show you a snip of mine but whenever I try to upload an image it just hangs with the busy spinning.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What I was saying is that I don't have an entry for the Recycle Bin in my D: Recovery partition files.
    It's possible the builder of the computer/installer of Windows turned it off for that partition.
    https://www.google.com/search?noj=1&....0.hJNMQr0P3Eo

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Recycle Bin has always been on my desktop as with other computers I've seen.

Toshiba partition the HDD so that D: is ~the same size as C: but only 8GB is taken up with the Recovery files which I think is a waste although I could store other items in there, but still have plenty of space left in C:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll take another look at the folders in D. I'm not TOO worried about it, it just freaked me out a little when it turned red on me. LOL.