New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8.1 hidden admin account became useless

Hi, I've encountered a problem with enabled hidden admin account. It worked perfectly, but in one moment lost it's ability to run everything as administrator and forbid to install programs in Programm Files like in the standart accounts. System consider the hidden admin account is enabled and doesn't let to create new one. How to fix my poor incapable account, except disable UAC (it works too but I wanted my account to be exact and only Administrator) ? Thanks!

Thanks
    If you are trying (in order to correct whatever the problem may be) to create a second Administrator account, there can only be one, by default. It's a coded in named account, and there can be no duplicates.

Have you tried a System Restore to a time before you had this difficulty?

In a fresh installation, the default Administrator account is disabled. My usual advice for this account is to enable it long enough to give it a password (it has no password, also by default), write that password down and store it in a safe place for future reference, and then disable the Administrator account again. There are very few reasons to actually need that account enabled.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, bbearren! Yeah, I tried to restore system, but all remained the same. There is no password in admin account - does it make any difference? And I wouldn't like to disable the account - it is comfortable to have only one almighty account in system, and I used to it - admin account is set to my taste now. There will be additional inconvenience to make a new one. The question was - can I keep the account and retrieve it's power.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Laere View Post
    Thanks, bbearren! Yeah, I tried to restore system, but all remained the same. There is no password in admin account - does it make any difference? And I wouldn't like to disable the account - it is comfortable to have only one almighty account in system, and I used to it - admin account is set to my taste now. There will be additional inconvenience to make a new one. The question was - can I keep the account and retrieve it's power.
    One of the reasons for having the default Administrator account disabled is that it protects it from becoming corrupted. In that way it is available for use in working through other Windows problems and with other user accounts.

I advise against using it routinely, and I don't myself. So I've never had occasion for the Administrator account to become corrupted, and no experience in overcoming such a problem. There is an inherent danger in having all one's eggs in a single basket, as you now realize.

I also use and recommend drive imaging, so for me, a simple restoration of a previous drive image would cure such a problem quite quickly.

In the absence of all that, it would appear that your recourse here would to do a complete recovery/reinstall, unless someone else has a different solution.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows