2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Camcorder tapes to play on HDTV via USB drive

I have used Windows Movie Maker to "convert" camcorder tapes to a version that will play as a DVD on my HDTV. But the DVD won't play on anyone else's TV or computer. So, back to the drawing board!

How can I save a camcorder tape in a format that will play on an HDTV using the USB port? My camcorder is a JVC model GR-D347U that includes cables to attach to my Windows XP PC.

At this time, I don't need to edit the tapes, just save/transfer/convert onto a USB drive that the TV can access.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I use VLC / VideoLan when I need to play unusual formats or from different input ports - it's free too.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    VLC/VideoLan may be exactly the product I need. However, the descriptions at the link appear to be lists of acronyms that are way beyond my level of experience. Tell me, please, will this product by itself save a tape exported from my camcorder, then allow me to save it in a format to copy to a USB drive, then plug into my HDTV and play the camcorder movie?

Thanks, Betsy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume from your post that you can play your camcorder through your PC. Running VLC you should be able to view the camcorder output. If so you can tell VLC to send the output to a file in MP4 format. Burning this file to a DVD should allow others to view the video.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting, and may be worth a try. I already have Windows Movie Maker, which might have the same capability to save to MP4 format; I have to look at the program. I've used Movie Maker before and burned a DVD but others couldn't play them. Either wrong format or they didn't have a DVD player. That's why I'm thinking copying to a flash drive might work better. too many choices!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The one file format that I've found to be compatible across all media players and smart TV's that I've tried so far is a particular form of MP4; XVID AVI. If you have 2012 Movie Maker you do have MP4 format, H.264 codec, so give that a try first, it's pretty good, especially on more modern devices.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like I have 2012 Movie Maker, so I'll try your suggestion. New question: Do I then have to burn a DVD, or can I drag and drop to a USB device (flash drive)? Will try after a grandchild's visit and let you know.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have the file you can copy it to anything, even email it - might be a bit too big though.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank-you for this discussion. I've been wondering how to go about this for the past couple of years & want to be sure it gets done before all of my VHS & smaller camcorder tapes are so obsolete that I can't salvage the material on them anymore. I know there are places that will do it for me, but I have so many, it would cost a small fortune. Looking forward to a new summer project.
    Erin Walsh,
    Director of PR-Boost Software
    www.boostsoftware.com