5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem with BIOS-level passwords

LANGALIST PLUS

The problem with BIOS-level passwords

By Fred Langa

BIOS-level passwords can be defeated by resetting the BIOS, but a second level of security can still keep your files safe. Plus: Using encrypted data with 7-Zip, KVM switch weirdness, and curing a "User profile cannot be loaded" failure.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/the-problem-with-bios-level-passwords/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

For an alternative to physical KVM switches, take a look at Mouse without Borders from the Microsoft Garage (free).

This is Windows only, but works very well, even on the Server products: I use it to control my laptop, a Hyper-V host and two guests thereon (2-screens) and my main desktop (3-screen system) all from one keyboard and mouse. Allows cut/paste between machines etc and can support various arrangements of monitors and machine switching/jump methods.

As I run view all my non-Windows OS screens through various Windows-hosted virtual machine front ends (eg VMWare vSphere), it also works for all of them too.

If you need a multi-OS equivalent, try Synergy - this is Open Source, but the differences between OSs can cause problems...

regards

Mike

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another fantastic and free product is Synergy. It's a keyboard and mouse sharing application that is also cross platform and open source. To learn more visit synergy-foss.org. I've been using it for a couple of years now. It's so good I've donated to team behind it. I did away with my KVA switches entirely.