New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows updates changed desktop properties

I updated my computer today in windows and after I went through the update process my desktop changed the color on the task bar so I restored it. How can I find out what update caused this so i can go ahead and update my computer. I have a windows update waiting to update. Thanks in advance.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just install one update at a time, checking after each.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This happened to me too and I mention it here just to add a little more noise, in the utopian hope that MS might eventually hear and fix the updates.

After giving a customer an hour and a half's free work, I installed the waiting updates, and BLAMMO, start menu, task bar, background color and the way the gadgets display were all changed.

I did a system restore, which itself went very slowly and then announced that it had failed. But luckily it hadn't, and the gentleman had his familiar desktop back. I turned off auto updates and told him to wait a couple weeks to see if MS fixes the problem.
    Last edited by Mikef12; 2014-06-12 at 11:43.