Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, but what BotCrawler says doesn't ring true in the slightest compared to my experiences. Neither what BotCrawler says Re-Image does, nor what they say Re-Image doesn't do, bears the slightest resemblance to reality, in my opinion. Re-Image HAS done what it claims to do, for me. My only other option was to do a non-destructive re-instal. Re-Image fixed the problems in a fraction of the time that would have taken. When my system has become unstable (not according to Re-Image, but in my own opinion, based on my observations of how it was acting) I have used R-Image to good effect, restoring the stability that I expect from a brand new OS installation, without having to actually re-install the OS. In my opinion, BotCrawler has an agenda with repsect to Re-Image, and it doesn't seem to be an admirable agenda. Again, that's MY opinion, but it IS based on my own experiences.
    Wadtite

Quote Originally Posted by Syncopator View Post
    Reimage finally got in touch with me.

Refunds are subject to having run their UNDO facility, which is supposed to appear when uninstalling. They are able to tell this has been done as the process is recorded on their system.

I had uninstalled Reimage using IOBit's Uninstaller and the UNDO facility didn't appear.

After explaining this in response to Reimage's message, I asked if it would be possible for them to confirm this if I dowloaded Reimage again, ran it and then uninstalled it again. To which they replied in the affirmative.

However I did a bit of searching on the web and discovered this http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-th...age-pc-repair/

Having satisfied myself that my system is clear of any Reimage leftovers, I will not download again etc etc, and will put this incident down to experience.

I long ago adopted the poilicy of trying never to be caught twice the same way.

Your good health.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    I suppose the goal of the UNDO facility is to, well, UNDO what their nice tool did while installed, thus causing you to lose all fixes done by the tool?

I am pretty sure I read, a few years back, that you would lose the changes done by reimage once you uninstall it. I never installed it myself, nor will I ever in the future, so I can't confirm it for sure, but the fact that they have this UNDO feature is a strong indicator that you will lose those changes. If not, why else would they need such a feature?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks

New experiences with possibly two different "Re-Images"

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I suppose the goal of the UNDO facility is to, well, UNDO what their nice tool did while installed, thus causing you to lose all fixes done by the tool?

I am pretty sure I read, a few years back, that you would lose the changes done by reimage once you uninstall it. I never installed it myself, nor will I ever in the future, so I can't confirm it for sure, but the fact that they have this UNDO feature is a strong indicator that you will lose those changes. If not, why else would they need such a feature?
    I suppose that it is quite possible that if you use the UNDO tool that you might lose all changes that Re-Image has made, but if you just quit subscribing (paying) each year for their services, you would just lose access to their services. Having done that once, back when they were more expensive and I didn't want to shell out that much money, I didn't lose the changes they had made.
    On a new note, just yesterday (Saturday) I acquired the Akamaihd malware (probably from a recent file download). To my surprise, there was a "fearware" type of ad for Re-Image. This is totally different from my experiences with Re-Image, and could be the Re-Image that BotCrawler reported on. I suspect that some malware is packaging itself as Re-Image, drawing on the knowledge some have of the real Re-Image. hoping that will lead to unsuspecting people downloading a bogus Re-Image. Possibly it might be good for Fred Langa, or some other Windows Secrets writer to research this issue for us, so that we can lay this issue to rest, one way of the other. In the meanwhile, I continue to have great success using (the real) Re-Image.
    Wadtite

Lounger
    Thanks

Update

Quote Originally Posted by wadtite View Post
    I suppose that it is quite possible that if you use the UNDO tool that you might lose all changes that Re-Image has made, but if you just quit subscribing (paying) each year for their services, you would just lose access to their services. Having done that once, back when they were more expensive and I didn't want to shell out that much money, I didn't lose the changes they had made.
    On a new note, just yesterday (Saturday) I acquired the Akamaihd malware (probably from a recent file download). To my surprise, there was a "fearware" type of ad for Re-Image. This is totally different from my experiences with Re-Image, and could be the Re-Image that BotCrawler reported on. I suspect that some malware is packaging itself as Re-Image, drawing on the knowledge some have of the real Re-Image. hoping that will lead to unsuspecting people downloading a bogus Re-Image. Possibly it might be good for Fred Langa, or some other Windows Secrets writer to research this issue for us, so that we can lay this issue to rest, one way of the other. In the meanwhile, I continue to have great success using (the real) Re-Image.
    Wadtite
    The Re-Image associated with the malware Akamaihd was Re-ImagePlus. The Re-Image that I subscribe to and have used for years is just Re-Image---no Plus. Maybe the difference between my experiences and others is that there is a legitimate Re-Image program, and a malware version called Re-ImagePlus which tries very hard (and succeeds) in making people think that it is the same program. Don't know that for sure, but that's what it is looking like.
    Wadtite

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12