3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot remember how to make a heading style's numbering a subset of the prior heading level

Hi folks,

Using Word 2013 and I have Heading 1, Heading, 2, Heading 3, and Heading 4. Each heading is numbered, so heading 1 is 1.0, heading 2 is 1.1, and I need to make heading 3 be 1.1.1, heading 4 1.1.1.1, and so one.

Heading 1 and Heading 2 are set up this way, but I can't figure out how to make Heading 3 and Heading 4 continue on from each prior, larger-level number. I'm in chapter 6 and it is as follows: 6.0 (Heading 1 text), body text, 6.1 (Heading 2 text), body text, 6.2 (Heading 3 text)- I need Heading 3 to read 6.1.1

Also, how in the world in the Paragraph or Tab or wherever formatting options do I close up that gap between the number and the text, and have that apply to all the heading style entries?

Thanks for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ben000; 2014-06-11 at 21:21.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PS I am noticing that my Heading 3 numbers are continuing as single numbered list, even when seperated by different heading 2 entries:

A (which is heading 2)
    text
    i (heading 3)
    text
    ii
    text

B
    text
    iii
    text

Where "iii" should be "i" having reset the numbered list when B (heading 2) began

I looked around the paragraph settings, font, and numbering settings (no numbering shows as assigned) but didn't see any options.
    I am working in the clients Word template, so I have use it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have a very careful read of this webpage
    http://shaunakelly.com/word/numberin...g20072010.html

Note that if you need to revisit ANY heading outline level then you MUST ALWAYS put your cursor into a level 1 paragraph (ie Heading 1) before opening the outline numbering dialog. Failing to do so is likely to result in two separate (unrelated) number streams which sounds like your problem.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2014-06-12)