Lounger
    Thanks

fillin field with autotext? (Office 2000 SR1)

I need to create a form (template) with variable boilerplate and selectable input fields. After perusing Ed and Woody's tome "Using Office 2000", I decided to use Autocorrect to select the appropriate paragraph, for which I had previouly created a style and input various stock phrases as Autotext. At key places in the boilerplate I inserted a fillin field intending that the user would select from the Autotext group the appropriate phrase. When I key in the autocorrect keyword (eg: cuscomplaint) the customer complaint paragraph pops up with it's fillin message box which does not permit a selection from the Autotext groups, nor does it allow accepting Autotext from the Autotext keyword. Is there a better approach to providing this fuction?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: fillin field with autotext? (Office 2000 SR1)

I'm sure there is some elegant way to do this, but I can only offer a somewhat boring suggestion. In Word's built-in templates for letters and faxes, there are prompts that are actually a field called MACROBUTTON that says something like [Click here and type]. If you use macro buttons (with NoMacro) instead of fill-in fields, it is possible to access the autotext entries when users click on them and start typing.

Thanks

Hi Mike,

First, it is important to distinguish between AutoCorrect and AutoText. Although the two features are somewhat related they are very different in implementation.

It sounds like you are using AutoText. Have you looked into the AutoTextList field? You can have an AutoText entry, say "Products" which itself is an AutoTextList field for your various products. The user right-clicks on the field and gets a drop-down list of AutoText entry names which can be restricted by style (not necessarily the the style that the field is in nor the style that the entry will appear in when inserted). For an example of this, open the header/footer view and click on the AutoText menu on the toolbar. This is an example of the AutoTextList field. For more about this field, take a look at by Bill Coan. For more on AutoText follow the links at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#AutoText> Word Web Resources - AutoText (addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm).

For more on fields, follow the links at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Fields> Word Web Resources - Fields</A> (addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm).
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

Woody's loungers are the best people on the planet! Thanks for the answer to my problem and for the great set of links. Lots of really good information here, I have bookmarked numerous sites you provided.