New Lounger
    Thanks

Incorrect display of web pages in Win7 but not XP

As a first timer her and not sure where to post this (please move if appropriate).

I recently took the plunge and installed Win7 (64 bit) on my self built computer, but decided I'd like to keep XP (32 bit) and have a dual boot system; XP on one drive and Win7 on another.

I discovered that when visiting some sites using a browser (IE or Firefox) in Win7 and I scroll using a wheel mouse, some pages seem to lose their sharpness and the text splits or goes out of sync. It's a bit hard to explain so I took a screen shot of one of the sites to illustrate.

ScreenShotWebPage.png

If you notice the text goes out of sync but it only happens when I scroll. The text goes back "in sync" when I scroll back to the top of the page, or refresh the page or change the zoom level; up or down. Again it only happens on certain sites: Facebook and the site shown Hattrick are the worst offenders. The weird thing is that I have no problem with either site in IE or Firefox when I use XP.

I've checked that I've installed the correct drivers for all the hardware and I'm at a loss as why this happens in Win7. I suspect it might be the graphics card but I don't want to spend good money on new hardware if that is not the problem.

Can anyone help?

I've included a list of my current computer hardware:
    Mainboard: Asus P7P55D-E
    Processor: Intel i5-650
    RAM: 8GB (4x2GB modules)
    Graphics card: Asus EAH 4850 (Radeon HD 4850)
    HDD Seagate SATA 250GB (x2)
    Monitor: HP w2216v
    Last edited by scousemart; 2014-06-12 at 03:25.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounger
    Thanks
    It's possible that you just need to install the 64bit drivers for your specific graphics card in the Win7 install. You might be running a generic set of drivers for the display. Look online for drivers for Win7 64bit for your specific card and install them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rmallen07 For This Useful Post:

scousemart (2014-06-13)

Thanks
    There are some issues that might cause this with your graphics card, especially if you've upgraded IE past 9. There was a Platform Update (KB2670838) that made several changes to the graphics side of Windows, that was needed before upgrading to IE 10, this created many problems, some of them affecting Firefox and also other software.

Mozilla claim to have a workaround for it:
    To enable the workaround for this bug:
    1) Make sure you're running Firefox 26 or higher
    2) Go to about:config
    3) Right click anywhere in the content area, create a new Boolean called "layout.paint_rects_separately" (without the quotes) and set it to true
    4) Restart the browser
    Unfortunately, that workaround doesn't fix it for some users, myself included.

I uninstalled IE 10, uninstalled the KB and that fixed it for me - I have a 7-Series AMD HD graphics card, they're not 'supposed' to be affected by this anyway ...

I've also had to install the IE 10 and IE 11 Blocking Toolkits to prevent Windows/MS Update installing it again (until they decide force it).
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=36512
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=40722

Careful scrutiny of some of the results of this search might get you something more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

scousemart (2014-06-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestion but I have installed the latest drivers for the card from AMD's site. I actually tried drivers from both Windows and AMD. Still the same problem. :-(
    Last edited by scousemart; 2014-06-13 at 03:10.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It took me some time but I managed to sort out the problem using the advice you suggested.

I uninstalled the update which also uninstalled IE 11, however that was no problem as I installed the important updates (IE 9 & IE 10), making sure that the update (KB2670838) wasn't selected (it wasn't available).

As a precaution, I applied the Firefox workaround and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working a treat.

Super reply and a big thanks.

Thanks
    No problem, glad to be of some help