aharas

Access Permissions

Our little league organization purchased an application for tracking our players, coaches and creating schedules. We have been very happy with the application, however, it is in Access 2.0. We recently received notification that the vendor we purchased this application is no longer in business. So my problem is how can I access the *.mdb file from within access if the vendor has put permission restrictions on the *.mdb file. When I try to access the *.mdb via Access it will not open the database file. Does anyone have a solution for me on how to open the *.mdb file that has access restrictions?

Thank you

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Permissions

Hi,

First the obvious solution. Did you try opening the mdb with the SHIFT-key pressed?
    Pressing the SHIFT key while opening the mdb will prevent the autoexec macro to be executed.

Did you ask your vendor for the accessable source code?
    Did you ask your vendor who is continuing the support for your application?

If the mdb is password protected you can purchase a lot of products to recover the password (for instance from elcomsoft). Search the net with the keywords access and password, you will get a lot of hits.

aharas

I tried the recommendation of pressing the SHIFT-key, but it didn't work. The application still gives me a "No Permission for FILE NAME" error.

I have already used a password recovery application but the application doesn't have a password. And of course I have tried to contact the vendor but they are no longer in existence. I am afraid they sent our league the announcment but it never got to me in time before the phone numbers etc were disconnected. And this software has not been acquired by anyone else for support. So I am afraid at this time we are stuck.

The program works it would just be nice to upgrade it to Access 2000 and add additional reports to the current system.

Thank you,
    Autumn

Thanks

Hi,
    I suspect this will also give you the No Permissions error but there's no harm in trying ([img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]): have you tried setting up a new blank Access 2000 database and importing all the tables etc. into it?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Rory suggests to define a new database in access 2000.
    We probably had the same thoughts.

You can also define a new database in access 2.0 and import all the components (tables, queries, forms, reports, modules and macro's).
    Try if the new db works well.