Lounger
    Thanks

HP/Compaq Recovery Partition going into the red?

Hi,

Despite the recent thread: Enlarging the D partition? now being closed, no one actually commented on the real cause of the problem. I thought other HP/Compaq owners searching for a solution to their Recovery Partition going into the red may find the following helpful.

Perhaps the Administrators may like to tack this post into the closed thread.

This problem of the Recovery Partition of HP and Compaq computers going into the red is caused by the HP Software Updater – you’d think HP support would have spotted the problem they are causing by now… dohh!

If you allow it to run – and I wouldn’t - the HP Software Updater has free reign to access and update your system files. Around the start of 2014, some bright spark at HP support decided it would be a good idea to also update HP’s diagnostic tools in the Recovery Partition – completely missing the point that the updated files would inevitably be bigger than the originals and would bump HP’s own predefined Recovery Partition size limits!

The best way to deal with this problem is: Back up the Recovery Partition. Shrink the Windows partition by a few GB (to give you some free space). Expand the Recovery Partition size into the free space.

Frankly, to prevent this problem coming back to your system again, my advice is to go into Control Panel > Programs and Features, and remove the HP updater program completely - that will kill the little varmint off. Like most of the proprietor junk that HP, Dell, Acer etc. burden your new system down with, it’s mostly little use to man or beast anyway and would be far better replaced with quality freeware equivalents.

Cheers, Chris

P.S.
    How to resize the HD partitions:
    My golden rule for all partition changes is to make sure you defrag all partitions before you start – it makes things much smoother, safer and less prone to BUs
    I recommend you use Partition Wizard – read how to do it here in their excellent help pages:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/...partition.html

You can download the free Windows version of Partition Wizard from their home page but I’d recommend you actually use the Linux based boot disk version and do it from outside of Windows at start-up – much less to go wrong than any ‘live’ Windows based partition manager. You can download the boot iso here:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/parti...otable-cd.html

Previous thread re. HP Updater overloading the Recovery Partition.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...805#post939805
    Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall, UK, for the last 14 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components!
    Until Windows 8, I thought we were still moving forwards!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Cooper For This Useful Post:

jwitalka (2014-06-13),shadow35 (2014-06-13)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many many thanks Chris. I used your suggestion and Partition Wizard to take away 5 gigs from the C partition and add 5 gigs to the D partitiion and as you can see from the attachment, my D partition is no longer in the red (lol). It was a VERY easy program to use and worked very quickly and well.

I also took your advice about disabling the updater. Thanks again.

Update: Everything is working fine, just wanted to add that after doing this type of resizing partitions, you really need to do a backup. I do full images about twice a month and realized that the old backups probably wouldn't be able to be used due to the change in partition sizes. So a new backup is now made and I feel safer - lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shadow35; 2014-06-14 at 16:09.

Lounger
    Thanks

Wink

Hi Shadow35,

Great to hear that you’ve managed to solve the problem. On the HP systems I’ve dealt with it just kept coming back and adding to the Recovery partition until I zapped the HP Updater itself.

Glad you liked Partition Wizard – I’ve used and have ready access to just about every partitioning tool you could name but PW really is the slickest little beauty, isn’t it?

And yeh, I know I should be more diligent about regular backups, and I do try. But with three PCs, each with at least three HDs, all of them multi-partitioned with a variety of OS, plus a couple of laptops, I need to stay sane. Remember, I’m an old guy and life gets shorter by the day – what am I trying to protect – those half finished best sellers and all the photos of the ex-wives I never get to look at?!

Cheers, Chris
    Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall, UK, for the last 14 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components!
    Until Windows 8, I thought we were still moving forwards!

Thanks
    First PC in 1998 (Atari).

Win3.1 (1991) -> Win95 (1996) -> Win98 (1998) -> WinXP (2002) -> WinVista (2008?) -> Win7 (2011).

Professional computer consultant/technician since mid-2006, BBus(InfSys) University degree 2003.

Used Powerquest PartitionMagic and DriveImage until Symantec takeover about 2007 and road became steep downhill.

Looked for replacement boot manager & imaging solution, found "BootIt New Generation" and used it since w/o any failures.

Since renamed to "BootIt Bare Metal" http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

Boot manager that runs from its own partition and gives total control over all partitions in the computer, including USB HDDs. Includes drive imaging component which is totally bullet-proof.

Can also boot from CD for work on other computers.