Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't download

New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't download

Had issue with "DLL entry point not found". Deleted three programs that had been updated shortly before. No difference until I deleted "What Is My Computer Doing?)Since then I have been unable to download any programs (Adobe Air, Flash and Reader),also MS Safety Scanner. MS updated 6/10 OK.Norton A/V updates OK.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-06-13 at 16:02. Reason: Removed partial tags

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Boot up into Safe Mode and select Safe Mode with Command Prompt and run the command sfc /scannow to see what it reports for the DLL error and then boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can download/run the free version of MBAM - scroll down the page for the freebie button.

If nothing is found from the previous two scans and you are still unable to download anything in a normal boot, then try a download in a clean boot.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-14 at 02:49.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    And if that fails it's rebuild time.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Will do that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Followed all instructions. Scannow negative. Still could not download programs. MBAM found nothing. (No longer DLL problem since I uninstalled "What Is My Computer Doing?") Otherwise computer functioning OK. MS and Norton AV updates OK.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Could be a virus preventing you from downloading or updating signature files. Might try Windows Defender Offline (downloaded to different computer & burned to disc).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...fender-offline

Zig

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If the sfc came back clean then not sure if this MS Fixit will help but you could try it http://support.microsoft.com/mats/pr...d_uninstall/en

Were you able to download anything in Safe Mode with Networking ?

Do you have any restore points that go back to prior the program updates and then uninstall What is my Computer doing to see if that will side step the problem if the Fixit doesn't do it and have you tried downloading in another browser or in IE without add-ons ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-17 at 16:46.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again. Couldn't load Fixit. In Safe mode with Networking couldn't download programs either. Did System Restore: no result. Not sure how to work with another browser but will find out.; can I switch back to IE afterwards? Will give that a try.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The fact that you can browse but not download anything in IE would normally eliminate it being an add-on but try a download with IE - no add-ons by going Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Click on the Home page icon to get your normal browsing page then try www.adobe.com again.

Firefox is the usual spare/alternative browser you can use and if you are prompted to import anything from IE, decline the offer.

If you have access to another computer I think you will be able to Save it and copy it across with something like a Flash drive.

I think there's a Custom install option to use otherwise you could end up with making FF your default browser and can't remember if it offers anything else that you wouldn't want, but choose Create a desktop icon.

When you boot FF there will be a prompt to make it your default browser - select No.

When FF is booted, you can pin it's icon to the Taskbar as you would for IE and just boot as required as you would IE.

Once it's pinned to the Taskbar you can delete the desktop icon by right clicking on it and select Delete where it will go into the Recycle Bin to be dumped whenever.

This is how to set your home page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...your-home-page

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fully restored system with backup from one month ago. No change. Unfortunately it was about a month ago that the problem started and I may have unknowingly included the problem in the backup.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Which version of IE are you using ?

Should it be IE that's causing the download problems, try resetting that to defaults - Tools - Internet options - Advanced - then click on Reset.

I think you should be able to keep your Home page in the options, but you can go the whole hog if you like.

Also can you go Start - type eventvwr - press enter and check for any related errors.

If the Windows Installer is corrupt, running either of these sets of commands from the Command Prompt as an administrator may get it going again, but create a restore point before running each - I assume you are using 64 bit ?

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...installer.html

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/arc...20/673408.aspx

There is an additional suggestion in the first Comment of the second link, while dated, may also help - and again, create a restore point before making any changes to the registry.

You need to reboot to effect any registry changes.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-30 at 11:18.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allerder View Post
    Fully restored system with backup from one month ago. No change. Unfortunately it was about a month ago that the problem started and I may have unknowingly included the problem in the backup.
    It sounds to me like your best option is to run a Windows "Repair-Reinstall" from installation DVD. But thoroughly scan and remove any virus/malware infections first, and make a backup image or at least backup all your files first (just in case).

Also, if your Win7 has Service Pack 1 installed but your installation DVD is pre-SP1 (or if you don't have an installation DVD) you will need to borrow, or get a copy of, an SP1 installation DVD.

Look for an article by Fred Langa in the WindowsSecrets email newsletter 14/07/2011 "Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall".

A repair-reinstall is a whole lot less hassle than a reformat/clean install; it will put your Internet Explorer back to IE8 (you can skip IE9 but best to install IE10 before IE11), and you will probably have to install a swag of other Windows Update patches.

Fred's article is circa 2011, not very long after SP1 was released, so I consider his advice about uninstalling SP1 if your installation DVD doesn't include SP1 as being out-of-date.

If you feel a bit adventurous you could try "Windows Repair (All In One)" from:
    http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html

This *might* fix your "can't download" problem without having to resort to anything more radical. I have used this program on scores of customers' computers during the past couple of years since it was released, with very good results. Only once or twice did I have to go the repair-reinstall route after "Windows Repair" failed to fix the problem.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-07-04 at 23:12.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been trying to thank you folks but obviously have hit the wrong buttons. I'll try once more--thanks Sudo15 and you others for all the help. Changing the browser (to Chrome) did the trick. Things are working fine now. Thanks again.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    While using Chrome has done the job, it's just a workaround and not a fix.

Try the MS Fixit again in Safe Mode with Networking to see if it will run http://support.microsoft.com/mats/pr...d_uninstall/en

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

allerder (2014-08-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ran Mr Fixit in Safe Mode with Networking--no results. As long as everything is running well (including ability to download) can I just continue with Chrome as my browser? Any downside? Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast