New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 dropping external sata drives after it goes to sleep

This is a restart of a previous thread but with more information.

When the computer goes to sleep, and I wake it up, my E: and F: drives which are attached to the external eSATA ports, disappear. I can't get them back unless I reboot the computer. This does not happen with the internal SATA drives.

My web research indicates that this is caused by defective Microsoft Windows 7 drivers. A posts in a number of forms recommend installing Intel drivers to correct the problem. When I go to the Intel web site they offer two different sets of drivers: one from Intel, and one from Marvell. Both of these drivers say they are RAID drivers. They both say they support various types of RAID, but neither of them say they support JBOD (just a bunch of disks). I donít want to run the external ports as RAID.

Iím trying to figure out where I can get drivers for the external eSATA disks that will fix this problem.

I'm running Win7 SP1 with all updates installed. I installed this on a new disk.

I have a computer built by a local computer business with an Intel DX38BT mother board, which of course means I have Intel X38 Chipset, consisting of:
    Intel 82X38 Memory Controller Hub (MCH)
    Intel 82801IR I/O Controller Hub (ICH9R)

The documentation for this mother board says the eSATA ports support RAID. "The board provides a discrete Marvell* controller to support two eSATA connectors on the back panel and one PATA connector."

The internal SATA drives are:
    ST1000DM03-1CH162 ATA Device (1GB)
    ST3500641AS ATA Device (500MB)

The external SATA drives are:
    Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 ATA Device (1GB, Drive F
    ST3500641AS ATA Device (500MB, Drive E

The device manager says the drivers are:
    c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys

Thanks
    What motherboard do you have?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Just because the driver supports RAID doesn't mean you have to use it. JBOD is actually a RAID-like configuration, but you don't seem to be using RAID.
    If you check the details of the controller drivers you will see if they are Intel or MS and what versions. If the Intel drivers are later, install them - after making an image backup and external boot disk. If the driver is correct for your MB it will install.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozwire View Post
    What motherboard do you have?
    Intel DX38BT mother board