Star Lounger
    Thanks

PDF files with .PL extension

I use Firefox 30.0 under Windows 8.1

When I download a legal opinion from the 7th Circuit <http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/opinion.html>, it appears with a .PL extension rather than .PDF. When I click on it, it loads into WordPad as unreadable hash.

How do I get it to load as a PDF? Perhaps a different browser?

I know that Perl produces .PL files, but please don't ask me to use Perl.

Many thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Krsmav,

You need to change the file association for .pl files.

1. Click the Orb.
    2. Type Associate File
    3. In the Search list click on the top item: Change the file type associated with a file extension
    4. Scroll the list in the Set Associations dialog until you find .pl and click on it
    5. Click the Change program... button.
    6. Click on More Options.
    7. Click on Look for another app on this PC.
    8. Browse to find your PDF reader program ( I use Foxit Reader) and select the .exe file.
    9. Click Close.
    10. Done.

File assoc.JPG

I've tested this and successfully loaded up a file from the site given using FF 30.0. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know what the Orb looks like, but can't find it. I've looked through the desktop, the Firefox menu and elsewhere. I've called up the Run command, which doesn't recognize "Associate File." What next?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmav View Post
    I know what the Orb looks like, but can't find it. I've looked through the desktop, the Firefox menu and elsewhere. I've called up the Run command, which doesn't recognize "Associate File." What next?
    The "Orb" is the modern version of the Start Button. It contains a flag rather than the word "Start".

To associate the file, open up "Computer" (file manager). Find the file. Right click on it, and choose Open With then Choose Default Program. Browse to find the program you want to use (your PDF program), and check "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". Then click OK.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-06-17 at 10:38.

Thanks
    I think that RG didn't notice you are using 8.1, which doesn't have an Orb. Just open file manager and look for a .pl files. Right click, then hover over 'Open with' and select 'Choose default program'. Click more options, and select a PDF viewer from the list. If, like RG, you use Foxit, you need to go to the bottom of the list and click on 'Look for another app' and navigate to where it (or your favourite PDF reader) is.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might try copying the .pl file to a new name: xxx.pdf, then see if your PDF viewer will open and read xxx.pdf. If it doesn't work, you lose nothing but a little time.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you sure it's a PDF file? The PL extension is usually used for Perl scripts, which are used frequently on Web servers, although they are usually in directories from which downloading is prohibited by the Web server.

Another possibility is that it is not PDF but PostScript Language (PL), which seems much more likely. If that's the case, you will need something along the lines of GhustScript to read it.
    David Gray, Chief Wizard
    WizardWrx
    Irving, Texas, USA

WizardWrx Web - Technical Articles and Free Software
    You are more important than any technology we may employ.