New Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox randomly switches windows

For the past several versions, when I have multiple open Firefox windows, focus will randomly switch to one of the non-active windows.

I frequently have multiple Firefox windows open, some with more than one tab. All the windows are maximized. In the visible (top-most) window, I may be scrolling the screen, or moving the mouse around, hovering over various objects. Suddenly, one of the other, inactive windows appears over the top of the window I was currently working in. This happens intermittently, and I have seen no pattern to it.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks for your help.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I've not experienced this...but when stuff like this does occur, (downloading a new copy) an un-install and re-install generally fixes issues of this kind.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi -

I've experienced this, but am switched to an opened Word document. Have inquired about fixes, no answers...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I've briefly experienced this since upgrading to v30.0 but as I rarely use FF, just thought it was a glitch, but as others are also experiencing it then perhaps it's a bug in v30.0.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if I ever saw this on Windows 7 (or XP), but it happens several times every day on Windows 8.0/8.1. I've seen it on FF 28.0 to current, and maybe a couple of versions earlier than this. It doesn't seem to be affected by whatever else is running at the time.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I run Win 7 but have also had this in IE when one of the open windows has been for my home page - I'd forgotten about that as I now make sure I don't leave any on my home page.

Not sure if Windows has some way of prioritizing a tab ?

Thanks
    Just to add my 2p worth, I have W8.1 and FF30 and have never had the problem (even with older versions). I suppose it's the price we pay for having massively modifiable hardware and software - my set-up is different to your set-up which is different to his set-up and her set-up, so trying to pin down these problems can be... well problematical. At least if you know some others share your issue and some don't, it's probably in your set-up rather than a bug.