Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Closing IE 11 prevents other programs from running

I use IE11 (in Windows 7 Home Premium) to visit sites and look up stuff several times during the day. I close it after each session and use CCleaner. I turn off my computer at the end of the day. After a few days (it varies), at some point I'll close IE and then I'll be unable to run any other program, including CCleaner or Task Manager. I then have to force close by pressing the power button.
    I then start the system in safe mode and after it finishes coming up, I reboot. Now everything is fine for a few days, until it happens again. This procedure is the only thing that fixes the problem.
    I've looked online to find a solution and tried a bunch of things, some of which I cannot even remember at this time. Here are some of the things I tried that I do remember:
    + unchecked MS Search in the Applications tab of CCleaner
    + disabled all add-ons except RoboForm
    + looked for shell extension from programs I didn't recognize (didn't find any)
    + reset IE to default settings
    + going into safe mode and then rebooting back to normal mode. This is the only one that has worked for me, even though it's temporary.
    Has anyone experienced this problem or has any ideas as to what could be causing it or suggestions for fixing it permanently?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
    Kathy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you shut down the system by pressing Ctrl Alt Del and selecting the power button icon?
    Not being able to run programs sounds like a corruption problem. I'd run a virus scan, malware scan and system check. See this thread for details.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, are any related events listed in Event Viewer or Reliability history ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd look at the Power Options [in Control Panel] and some of its actions. I've seen where the Shutdown button in Windows doesn't actually turn the computer off, seems to only put it to sleep. An actual power-off shutdown clears out anything still held in RAM which may be holding IE in it. Most computers require holding the power button [on the case] 6 seconds or a bit more to assure a complete shutdown. In a worst-case scenario pulling the power cord out/turning off the surge protector may be required but usually only with a freeze-up where nothing else works.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I forgot to mention that I have run several virus scans and malware scans and they've all come up clean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had no problem turning off the computer when I cannot run other programs, precisely by holding the power button down. That part is not a problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I looked up Reliability History and found that almost every day it has a critical event: Svchost.exe_ProfSvc stopped working. Have no idea what that means. I'll have to go look at Event Viewer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Event viewer has the same more or less consistent error, also indicating svchost.exe with an Event ID of 1000. Not sure if this will help. Not terribly comfortable looking at Event Viewer. More precisely, I have no idea what I'm looking for or where, to put it plainly.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Holding the power button down performs a hardware power down, not a graceful Windows power down. That is not good as you stop programs in mid flight and may corrupt data if Windows is writing to disk.

Have you performed the system scans suggested in post 2 above?
    Do you remember when the problem started? Was it after a particular upgrade?
    Have you tried a repair of the IE11 installation?

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy3023 View Post
    I looked up Reliability History and found that almost every day it has a critical event: Svchost.exe_ProfSvc stopped working. Have no idea what that means. I'll have to go look at Event Viewer.
    More info and possible solutions to any error in Event Viewer can be found by clicking on the blue Online help link but a Google of the ProfSvc came up with http://www.win7dll.info/profsvc_dll.html and if it stopped because one of those is missing or corrupt, then running a sfc /scannow could resolve it - the article lists other possible Event IDs you may see in Event Viewer that can be related to this.

To run the sfc /scannow go Start - type cmd.exe then right click on cmd - click on Run as administrator - accept the UAC and at the command prompt type sfc /scannow then press Enter and let us know what it reports.

Options 2 & 3 in http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-checker.html gives more details on how to perform the system file check and how to view the CBS Log should it not be able to repair some files, which is what Paul T had referenced from one of my other posts.

Type exit then press Enter to close the command window when finished.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-15 at 04:15.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Doing a system file check is one of the things I'd forgotten about that I did try. However, I ran it again and it reported: Windows Resource protection did not find any integrity violations.
    One of the problems I'm having now in trying to track this is that enough time has passed since the last time that there are too many entries to be able to pinpoint the problem. I think I'm going to wait until the next time the problem happens (meaning, I can't start any programs, including closing the system normally, which is why I have to resort to the power button), and then collect all the information I can and repost with that information.
    Thank you to all who responded. Hope you can help later when I expect to have more information.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Has the ProfSvc error stopped appearing in Reliability history and can you now shut down normally ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Has the ProfSvc error stopped appearing in Reliability history and can you now shut down normally ?
    Yes for the past two days, but it is not unusual for it to go for two days without a problem. As I said in my last post, I will try to get more info right after it happens the next time. THanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try uninstalling IE 11. Then run CCleaner. Then install IE11 afresh.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I seem to find IE11 a source of trouble as well, although not with problems as drastic as yours.

You might find this LINK regarding the bit version to be of interest.

You might also try running it (right-click) as Administrator to see if that adds any stability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast