Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Fatal installation error using non C:\ as root

I recently installed Windows 7 on a second drive in my system leaving me with a dual boot of Windows 7 and Windows 7. The old installation that was slightly hosed was on the root drive labeled C: and the second installation was on the G: drive, a clean new 250 GB SSD. When I made some boot changes to make the G: the single root drive on the system by removing the old hosed drive the system ran beautifully. Then I ran into one or two problems. The only important problem is that my HP printer software installation fails with a "Fatal Error" (no error number specified). The message says "Invalid Drive: C:\." I have searched HP and the internet and cannot find an answer to the problem that helps me. I can see that somewhere (near the end) in the installation process the installer is not recognizing the G:\ as the system root but I don't know how to repair the problem. Since I have not had this problem with about 40 other applications I installed; I have to believe the problem resides in the HP software. I might add that the printer (OJ6450) worked beautifully before the hard drive changes. Any suggestions of a fix will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Have you tried doing a complete uninstall/reinstall of your HP software?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I did it twice, once normally from Control Panel and once using HP's "Scrubber." The re-install still fails at the same point. I could do a find and remove of all things HP on the registry but that is something I would like to avoid if at all possible.

Thanks
    In my dual boots (XP/Windows 7 on one laptop, Windows 7/Windows 8.1 on another laptop, and Windows 7/Windows 8 on my desktop) the booted Windows is always drive C:, and the unbooted Windows is always drive D: in Windows Explorer. When I reboot into the other installation, the booted Windows is always drive C:, and the unbooted Windows is always drive D:.

Is Windows Explorer on your PC showing the Windows drive as C: or G:?

As for HP printer software, on my desktop in Windows 8 it is installed on Drive H:, and in Windows 7 it is installed on drive U:.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If the system drive is G: when booted into it, then the installation process is looking for a fixed drive (C: ) to temporarily store some files being prepared for installation. The solution there is to carve out a small partition and assign the letter C: to it for the software to use during the installation.

If a C: drive already exists then this is NOT the problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N. downtown, thanks, that sounds like a very reasonable solution to me. I don't have any partition/drive labeled C: but I can change that easily and give it a try.