4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unallocated free space

My friend has an XP computer and I'm trying to help him upgrade to Win 7 HP
    Upon starting the Win7 Install, it asks where do you want to install windows? and shows the hard drive information
    Disk 0 Partition 1 Total size 120.0 GB Free space 91.4 GB Type System
    Disk 0 Unallocated space 58.3 GB Free space 58.3 GB
    I cancelled the Win 7 install

Booting back up into XP and going to disk management, the information shows
    C: Capacity 127.99 GB Free space 91.40 GB
    Unallocated section shows 58.32

I'd like to get everything together without having any unallocated space
    How can I do that?

I thought the Win 7 disc would format the hard drive according for its OS

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You probably just missed it, under the advanced settings there are some basic hard drive manipulation options, including deleting partitions and formatting.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-11-05)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As F.U.N. says, you need to access the advanced settings when telling Windows where to install itself.

If you don't need any of the information on the hard drive simply delete all the partitions so it becomes a large chunk of unallocated space and install Windows onto that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-11-05)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did look at advanced settings section but I didn't understand how to use them. So does this mean I can delete the Disk 0 Unallocated space 58.3 GB and I'll end up with a Disk 0 Partition 1 System Total size 178.00 GB so that I can install the OS on the System hard drive?
    Or delete the Unallocated section of 58.32 plus the Disk 0 Partition 1 Total size 120.0 GB System section and end up with 170 GB and it will named System?
    On the formatting, I thought the install disc does that

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As long as any suitable partitions exist for W7 to install on it won't change a thing, just ask where ya want it.
    Delete any and all partitions so you only have one block of unallocated space and then let or direct Win 7 to format and use the entire disk space.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-11-05)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips
    I couldn't delete the Disk 0 Unallocated partition
    On the Disk 1 System Partition, I chose the Extend option instead of the Delete option and now the its Disk 0 System Partition and all is well
    --- Windows Updates are in the process of being completed

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, that'll work too as long as the free space is to the right side of the partition. Also, you may now have a Windows.old folder which you may have wanted or not if you didn't format. It contains all of the old installation and can be deleted via Disk Cleanup once you're positive you don't need any of the data files inside.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-11-05)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks F.U.N. That's another excellent tip about the free space
    I will keep the Windows.old folder intact for the time being.
    As you said, I can delete it via Disk Cleanup once I know my friend doesn't need any of the data files in there
    He's happy now
    He really didn't want to upgrade his XP but I talked him into it and I'm glad I did

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Thanks for the tips
    On the Disk 1 System Partition, I chose the Extend option instead of the Delete option and now the its Disk 0 System Partition and all is well
    --- Windows Updates are in the process of being completed
    You can't delete unallocated partitions as there is effectively nothing to delete!

If you deleted the disk 1 System partition the whole disk would have become an unallocated partition and Windows would have been quite happy installing onto that.

Glad you got sorted in the end though and as you can see there is normally more than 1 way to achieve something within Windows!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-11-05)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you.
    Even though what I had to do was pretty simple as I found it, there's not much "simple" on a first time experience
    My friend has been using the computer the rest of the day and he's just "astounded" on how well it runs
    --- Actually he was very hesitant to upgrade from his XP as it was working very well and didn't understand why upgrade to Windows 7 when his computer was still running like new
    --- So progress marches on

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A note for future endeavors, the partition containing the Operating System can't be deleted from within that OS [while booted to the OS], won't allow itself to be killed. It usually has to be done while booted to CD containing a partitioning program such as GPARTED.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-11-05)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran Disk Cleanup to delete Windows.old but the amount of disk space to gain was minimal
    --- I didn't record the number but it was only in kb's
    --- I used the Clean up system files box
    In the Microsoft instructions I had to up grade XP to Windows 7 it said I should select Previous installations and any other categories of files I want to delete; I missed that part so that's my fault
    --- Anyway I went to the Windows.old folder and clicked on delete
    --- Along the way there were numerous system files but I didn't choose to delete them
    --- The end result is I gained 12% of free space (65% to 77%)
    --- The remaining Windows.old folder only Size 21.4 MB Size on disk: 14.5 MB
    --- Even though the remaining Windows.old folder doesn't take up much space, would it be a problem if I delete the it with
    the remaining system files which I suppose are from the XP setup

if I get to do another XP to Windows 7 upgrade, I'll look for the select Previous installations to see what it does

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No problem with an ordinary delete of the Win.old folder; if it will delete. Windows identifies [old] system files inside and often will not allow straightforward deletion so Microsoft provides the previous installation cleanup method.

Thanks
    Having a Hard drive manager, like EaseUS Partition Manager on a boot disk, is also very helpful in times like this.

Fix the XP hard drive, by incorporating all the unused space into C: before you start the upgrade to another OS.

I've found in the past that a new OS being installed will often go where it wants, regardless of where you actually WANT it to go, or where you think you're telling it to go.

That really BITES and can often result in you having to reformat or 'Wipe' the hard drive clean, and reinstall the OS.*

* Actually, that's my favorite method of installing a new OS to an old HD. Just personal preference.

Cheers Mates!

Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-11-05)