3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Playing .MOV files with correct orientation

Win 7 Pro, 64-bit

When I shoot or receive movie files ( in .MOV format) that were shot in landscape mode, they play back correctly on my computer using Windows Media Player or VLC.

However, movie shot in portrait mode play back sideways on my computer with either of these players.

If I change the VLC settings so that the portrait mode movie plays back in the correct orientation (Tools/Effects and Filters/Video Effects/Geometry/Transform), this change affects all .MOV videos, i.e, those shot in portrait mode play with the correct orientation, but those shot in landscape mode now play sideways.

Is there a player (preferably free) that will automatically detect and correct the orientation during playback?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know of any player that will address your concerns but I can offer this. I have the same issue when we get family videos sent to us and all I do is use the "Free Video Flip and Rotate" program to rotate and save the .mov file. This is a free application. Not a fix for your problem but a simple workaround.

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products...and-rotate.htm

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Steve. I've been using Windows Live Movie Maker to rotate the .mov files, but it only saves in .wmv format. I'll try your suggestion, to see if it retains the .mov format.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My own 2¢ worth: A video is different from a photo. Movies were meant to be shown on a screen that is wider than tall. Portrait mode is inappropriate for video. Video should NEVER be shot in portrait mode.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    GSAugustus,

I have a couple of observations concerning your post:

While you're generally correct about a video being most commonly viewed in landscape mode, your comment about NEVER shooting a video in portrait mode is merely your opinion, not a firm rule. In these days when more videos are shot with phones than cameras (at least among my acquaintances), portrait mode appears to be as common as landscape mode. In fact, on a recent trip to the California redwood parks, I had occasion to shoot a video panorama (using a camera, not a phone) that would have been unable to capture the entire height of the trees had I not used portrait mode. Same holds true for a video I shot of Yosemite Falls.All of the above are the reasons why I started this post.

Which brings me to my second point. To be blunt (without being rude, I hope), your reply fails to address the question that I asked. Videos shot in portrait mode DO exist, and I often have to deal with them, hence my original post.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve260 View Post
    Don't know of any player that will address your concerns but I can offer this. I have the same issue when we get family videos sent to us and all I do is use the "Free Video Flip and Rotate" program to rotate and save the .mov file. This is a free application. Not a fix for your problem but a simple workaround.

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products...and-rotate.htm
    Thanks for that. Some time ago I had to scrap a video, as unable to find a way of viewing it normally.