New Lounger
    Thanks

dvd de-coders for 7 starter

I have an . asus netbook without dvd drive. I bought an asus usb dvdrw. /the system tells me I dont have a decoder. Others have suggested downloading vld mp. Is this a good idea? Or is there a better mp out there? If so , do I uninstall the wmp? ""Am reluctant to go back to Ms for "help".
    All help gratefully received.
    Peter

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My favourite DVD / video player is VLC. Been the gold standard audio/video player for years.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I second VLC player.
    It'll play just about anything and it's not subject to American DVD codec laws, nor is it an adware haven.

I've been using VLC to play DVD's in Windows 8.1 for many years now too.
    For ripping DVDs, you'll need a host of other codecs depending upon the method used, but they are usually all free.
    For some it might take a little digging to get those that are not associated with adware, or at least those that are minimally invasive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Or, you could just install the K_Lite_Codec_Pack and just use the Windows Media Player like I do. There are several versions from 'lite' to 'full' which contains just about every video and audio codec in existence. Just be careful what site you download it from, some of them are riddled with adware. I suppose that I could attach it here as an attachment, but the full version is about 14 megs and I don't know what we are allowed for size here.
    Last edited by shadow35; 2014-06-15 at 16:42.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My thanks to Paul t,Clint,and shadow 35. I decided to install VLC ;went to the videolan site and clicked on the download for win7 32bit. I now have the file in the download box but am uncertain how to proceed. There is no install instructions or handy Wiz to help out this old plodder. I did manage to get a page or ten of gobbledy on my wordpad when I elected to open the file on that program.
    All assistance welcome! Thank god for this lounge.
    Peter
    PS the file is vlc 2.1.3.win32.7z
    Last edited by fairway68; 2014-06-17 at 02:36.

Thanks
    It's likely that either your download is currupted or you downloaded something else, open source?.
    try again from the above site in Pauls link. select the exe, not the zip.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint & loungers,
    vlc installed as per. All is well. Why was it so hard? I think I was using the wrong download site, but who knows. Many thanks for all the help.
    Peter.