Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Not able to copy from a webpage

Once upon a time! I could highlight text on a web page and right click and press 'copy' and transfer it to Word for my later reading/use etc. Modern technology has moved in and on some sites I cannot do this now - nor 'Save picture as'.

Does any body know of software that will allow me to do this?

Cheers,
    Olleym

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Some websites don't allow you to do this but you can still usually print them out - but if you want to save them to read/reference later, then why not just bookmark them or copy and save their URLs in a WordPad doc ?

Thanks
    You can also, in IE at least, go to file, select "save as", and choose "web page complete".
    Then select your download location.
    But it's not as neat as it used to be, especially with all the bells and whistle crap that web pages
    have become.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do this already, but it does not allow to extract certian pieces pf writing or pictures. As a saved page I am in the same position as if it was live.
    Thanks for the response though,

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Firefox and can do the same with it, but it does not give me access to parts of the page I want to copy.
    Thanks for responding.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Text is more difficult to get in an editable form but you are or should be able to save a page in image format and then open that in any decent image program and cut out what you want, and if it will fit on the screen, just press the PrtScr key and paste the clipboard contents as a new image in said same image program and crop out what you want if needed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Also had the same problem. I use FireFox with the extension PrintEdit https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/print-edit/ which allows you to strip away parts of a live webpage and print the balance. I use a virtual PDF printer to create the PDF file.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Use the Windows 'snipping' tool, and paste the image straight into the Word doc. Just as quick as highlighting the text, and you get to keep everything on the page. Multiple images into the same Word doc can be used when the article is long.

Thanks
    Thanks CloudCatcher, I've seen the snipping tool but never used it. It looks easier to use than prtscn! Where's the Thanks button when it's deserved!

BTW How do you catch clouds (speaking as a retired meteorologist)?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I don't know the specifics of this particular web page I will shoot my mouth off and give a general idea.

If you can save the page as a ".htm" or a ".mht", then it seems to me that you have already saved the text. Just open the saved page in Notepad and edit out everything except what you want to keep.

As for a picture, either a screen clipping or look in the ".mht" file for the UU or Mime-encoded portions and find some little UU or Mime-decoding app somewhere.

There is always a way.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This might be of interest.

On pages which don't allow downloading of images, I have found that displaying the source will often reveal a url at which the desired image is hosted. It takes a bit of patience trawling through the code but it often works.
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also print to an XPS document. You should be able to copy from there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I copy/paste the text I want into notepad, which strips all formatting, then copy/paste into Word, where I edit as necessary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are two very effective ways to do this that I use:

1. If you use Mozilla Firefox, there is an add-on called "Print Pages to PDF" that is VERY effective at producing a highly accurate PDF file of any or all tabs that you have open. All other such add-ons that I've tried were inaccurate at producing PDF files. That's why, with 190 reviews, this add-on is a solid 5 out of 5 stars. Get it here:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...df/?src=search

2. "Readability" also does a great job. What it does is get rid of all the ads and presents a clean web page of just the material of interest which is then simple to save directly to a file or produce a PDF using #1 above. You can read about it here: https://www.readability.com/
    I like using their "Bookmarklets" which allows you to save the page for future reading. Read about that here:
    https://www.readability.com/bookmarklets
    Last edited by sb06794; 2014-06-19 at 07:06.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Two suggestions I haven't seen mentioned: Instapaper, whose description indicates it is exactly what you want or Evernote. I've not used Instapaper much, but I use Evernote all the time to clip hockey articles which are sometimes fleeting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast