Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes: Instapaper will be perfect for you if you have an iPhone or iPad. I use it a great deal when traveling, so I can read Web articles on the plane without a connection. When you're on a page you want to read later, you just hit the "Send" icon and an Instapaper button appears as an additional option to Message or Email. Save as many as you want. Later, you open the Instapaper app and all of your saved articles appear in a list. Tap one and the article comes up, stripped of all ads. The layout is so good it's actually much easier to read than the original.

One tip that will save you some disappointment: After you "save" all the articles, you have to launch the Instapaper app. That's when the real saving occurs. It takes a minute or two depending on your connection and how many articles you saved.

Thanks
    You an also highlight the text, and then right click and select translate to Bing. then C/P that into what ever you want. I use this method all of the time in Facebook to copy recipes.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What about Evernote? I see that KimScoop13 has also mentioned this. I have found this to be a very effective way to grab content from Internet Explorer and have it in a form that is useful afterwards. Making an image of material means that links are not active.

I still use the free version of Evernote.

Thanks
    Yes you can do that also I also use OneNote and C/P either with the method I mentioned or will also OneNote's Clipper
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Print to a pdf. It is easier to copy into a Word document this way, and if that doesn't work, at least you have a good copy of what you are looking for.

Lounger
    Thanks

Another possibility: HTTrack

While it may be overkill for the small stuff, you ought to check out HTTrack. The following is from http://www.httrack.com/:

"HTTrack is a free (GPL, libre/free software) and easy-to-use offline browser utility. It allows you to download a World Wide Web site from the Internet to a local directory, building recursively all directories, getting HTML, images, and other files from the server to your computer. HTTrack arranges the original site's relative link-structure. Simply open a page of the "mirrored" website in your browser, and you can browse the site from link to link, as if you were viewing it online. HTTrack can also update an existing mirrored site, and resume interrupted downloads. HTTrack is fully configurable, and has an integrated help system.

WinHTTrack is the Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Seven release of HTTrack, and WebHTTrack the Linux/Unix/BSD release. See the download page."

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used Syncopator's suggestion, "display source", or I've taken a screen shot (editing it down with Irfanview if necessary) and run it through an optical character recognition when I wanted to use the actual text.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For those of you still using copy and paste to notepad to remove formatting, PureText 3.0 is a much simpler option. http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/ You can set it up so that any key combination you chose will be used for "Pure Text" pasting. So I have mine setup so that CRTL-C is copy, CTRL-V is standard windows Paste, Windowskey-V is PureText Paste. With a Puretext Paste all formatting is removed and only Pure Text is pasted, so formatting will match the location where you are pasting the text to.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another vote for Evernote.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Olleym View Post
    Once upon a time! I could highlight text on a web page and right click and press 'copy' and transfer it to Word for my later reading/use etc. Modern technology has moved in and on some sites I cannot do this now - nor 'Save picture as'.
    Does any body know of software that will allow me to do this?
    Cheers,
    Olleym
    As already mentioned Evernote "CLEARLY" is a good add-on for Firefox that strips out most of the junk, AND seems to remove any right-click prohibitions allowing both text to be copied and images to be saved. Install it and run from the right-click menu, then copy and save away.

https://addons.mozilla.org/bn-bd/firefox/addon/clearly/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lots of great tips here but some miss the point. Saving the entire web page will also save the script that blocks copy-pasting of sections. They just want a snippet. Evernote doesn't work if you can't copy the snippet.

Firefox has a plugin called RightToClick. This turns off the JS and allows selecting text and saving pictures.

I also sometimes use the suggested PrintEdit for sites that don't have a decent print stylesheet.
    PrintPDF is useful for that, also mentioned.
    Mozilla Archive Format allows you to save web pages in Mhtl, mht, or MAFF- in other words a single file. This is very useful for saving all of it. (all are forms of zip) But again, that will include the script.

Finally I'll note a PC application called GetPlainText. This just sits on your taskbar. When you copy some text, rather than coping it into and out of Notepad, just click the icon and it strips the formatting out of the text in the clipboard. Just one click. Very useful for moving text Out of Word and emails too, such as in web design.

Finally, a related plugin you may find useful - Thumbnail Zoom Plus. Roll your mouse over an image on a web page and it blows it up to full size.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes I am able to highlight text, but cannot right-click > copy. Then I remember what I always used to use...ctrl-c. Usually I can paste. It doesn't always work, but a lot of younger designers may not know or remember that there is a ctrl-c, and don't plan against it. Ctrl-c is the easiest for me, so I always try it first.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ocr

Might be old tech but sometimes the old ways are the best

Just printscreen it then pull it through a good ocr package.

I use textbridge pro - old but useful when these things come along to frustrate.

Snippy as the cutting tool for Windows XP if you dont have windows 7 snipping tool is also handy.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's a different suggestion. Use Chrome browser and get the extension (i.e. browser add-on) called Awesome Screenshot. This extension allows you to capture an "entire webpage", no matter how long it is, with a single-click on the Awesome dropdown menu. Then click on "Done" and save it to your desired folder. Very simple.

Or, click the menu to capture just the "visible part of the page".

Or, click to capture a "selected area" then click & drag your mouse pointer over the desired area.

Once captured, you may highlight or circle any chosen text or area and you can even annotate with arrows and add your own text/notes if desired.

Then click done. and save it to your desired folder. Again, very easy.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Olleym, How goes it Down Under?

Since webpage construction has become more complex, what you can now copy, and how, really depends on just how hard the Website designer intends to thwart you.

Flash based sites or flash page elements are the most difficult. There are a few Flash copying tools out there and you can even go searching for the downloaded flash files in Temporary Internet – so yes Flash can be copied but mostly it’s not worth the effort.

Thankfully, 95% of websites are still ‘Normal’ and you can usually copy and paste into something like Word etc. Unfortunately the incompatibilities between webpage and Word document formatting often results in a bit of a midgemodge, but these two simple tools below will mostly get you a cleaner version of what you really want.

Win32pad: Allows text only (similarly to Windows NotePad) it strips the formatting off a Copy and Paste of the page but has the advantage of allowing clickable links, which is useful for you to record just where the webpage you copied it off lives. Very useful tool for assembling edited notes from multi-page research. Best set the default font to something like 'Times New Roman'. IMHO easily the best of the NotePad replacements.

FastStone Capture: Basically an on screen ‘camera’ that can take snapshots (.jpg, .png etc) of all or part of what is showing on your screen. It also contains a great little editor to add arrows, text and captions to your screenshots. Faststone can copy static Flash images and can even be set to snapshot a full scrolled page. I’ve tried most other ‘snip’ tools but this one does it best for me. The last freeware version (FastStone v5.3) even works in Win8 and is still available here (wait for the save box):
    http://www.oldapps.com/fast_stone_ca...re=17?download

From the text and image output of those two simple tools you can easily compile neat representations of webpage content into Word documents or emails.

Have fun, Chris

P.S. I’ve noticed recently that a few websites are trying to fool you into thinking you cannot select the text – look carefully and you’ll see it has been highlighted but in a very pale pastel colour.
    Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall, UK, for the last 14 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components!
    Until Windows 8, I thought we were still moving forwards!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast