New Lounger
    Thanks

dsl modem question

Hi, I'm new here so hope I'm posting this question in the right place.

My telephone company recently replaced my old modem with a wireless one and I've noticed the light on the WPS button occasionally flashing red when it's usually a solid green. I did a search and it seems that maybe someone is trying to break into my network? Could this be?

We live in the boonies and can only get minimal dsl via the telephone company which is Century Link. I have Windows 7 on both a desktop and laptop computers. The modem I got from Century Link is a Zy-XEL PK5001Z.

My question is - how secure is this modem and my network? Of course I set it up with a password and we're actually quite a ways from anyone who would even have a computer and I can't imagine anyone being close enough to actually be able to access my network.

If someone is trying to access my computer, what can I do about it? I would need specific instructions as I don't have much expertise in modems or networks! Or is my password protected modem sufficient?

Thanks for any help in understanding/resolving this issue,

JC

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge JC.

WPS tends to be viewed as insecure but you can disable it the PK5001Z http://internethelp.centurylink.com/...s-disable.html

This article will give you a tour of your new modem http://www.centurylink.com/help/index.php?assetid=137
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-15 at 17:25.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree, with just a desktop and laptop, no need to have WPS enabled. Unless you have someone within 40-50ft. typically, it's a pretty sure bet no one is triggering WPS; more likely to be a spurious signal from one of your own computers if they have wireless capability.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much to both of you for the quick reply. I was concerned about someone possibly trying to hack in but since we have acres between us and the closest house and they don't even have a computer I thought I might be concerned over nothing.

I just have one question - if I disable the wps, will it mess anything up or will I have to reset anything?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For anyone else who had questions about this issue, I took a deep breath and disabled the WPS with no problems at all.

Sudo 15, thanks for posting the links, they were both very helpful.

JC

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad that your mind is now at rest over this and that the links helped.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JanCee View Post
    Thanks so much to both of you for the quick reply. I was concerned about someone possibly trying to hack in but since we have acres between us and the closest house and they don't even have a computer I thought I might be concerned over nothing.

I just have one question - if I disable the wps, will it mess anything up or will I have to reset anything?
    WPS is just a simple way to attach a wireless device to your router. It won't hurt a thing to disable it.

Also, there may be a button on your router which will allow you to turn off wireless altogether. If you connect to your router with an ethernet cable and not via a wireless connection, you could easily turn wireless off by pushing that button. I leave wireless off unless I need it. But in my case, I have a next door neighbor who might possibly try to hack in. Since you don't have any neighbors within range, it doesn't matter whether you leave wireless on or off.