2014-06-15, 15:01 #1
- Join Date
- May 2010
- Colorado, United States
- Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
managing right click context menu
I have XP Pro sp3. I need to manage, edit, add, delete items in the context menu for files, & folders. I have downloaded several free programs, none of which work for me. I have worked with the registry but it does not list the total items in the menu that I want to delete. I have about 30 entries in a context menu as well as 20+ in the send to menu associated with the context menu. I have never intentionally added items to those menus and I use only about a dozen items. How can I edit those menus ie. delete those I do not nor will ever use.
Please don't tell me to upgrade to 7 or 8. My situation is not currently compatable to upgrading.
Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!
+ Get this BONUS — free!
Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!
2014-06-15, 15:26 #2
- Join Date
- Mar 2004
- Manning, South Carolina
- Thanked 781 Times in 715 Posts
Most of those items will have been placed there by programs you have loaded. I would suggest you:
- Take an image backup for safety!
- Uninstall any program you are not using and see what that gets rid of.
- Click on the remaining items and see which program opens. Then check the programs settings and see if you can eliminate the items from there.
- If you're adventuresome you can edit the registry. See the third (by Kelly) here for locations.