5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

question about Malwarebytes free

I have the paid version of M_Bytes release 2 installed, so I wasn't able to help my daughter with this question today. What a bummer on Father's Day.

Anyway, while at her house, she asked me to help her install the free version of Malwarebytes.
    We went to the vendor's site and downloaded the free version.

When we installed it on her PC, it came up okay, but was marked as a trial version; and there were buttons on the top of the main menu if one wanted to "activate" and "purchase."

My question is: after the trial ends (after how many days I don't know) will M_Bytes default to a truly free version, or will it no longer function unless one upgrades to the paid version?

Thanks for any help offered,
    Dick

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Probably best to uninstall the current version https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/en...-Anti-Malware- then scroll down the page for the freebie button in https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

I think there's a custom install option where you can uncheck the trial offer but look out for that option to uncheck and below the freebie button you will see that the trial is for 14 days.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15:
    Thanks for the response, but we started the whole process by going to their site and clicking on the freebie button.
    Also, because I'm very cautious of "drive-by" installs by other unasked-for software, we watched very carefully each step of the installation process, and there was no custom install option and nothing to uncheck vis a vis a trial offer.

My daughter is still running Vista, so maybe that has something to do with it????

Dick

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just after the install of the free version (not the free download version) there is a check box that needs to be unchecked or you get the free trial anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like F.U.N. has beaten me to it

I've just reinstalled MBAM to check where I'd seen the optional check box for the free trial - it's the final window where you click on Finish to launch MBAM.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    THanks guys. I must have blinked at the wrong time, 'cause I didn't see what you show in that image F. U. N.

I'll call my daughter tomorrow, have her uninstall it; and reinstall it looking out for that final step.

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between the free version and the free download version; and, more importantly, where does one find the free version?

Dick

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The free version is at the bottom of the comparison list and its in a gray color; like it might not be select-able; while the other version's download button just to the right is in bold color of course.

Thanks
    Actually, you can find the free version download button on their main page - https://www.malwarebytes.org/

mbam.JPG

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    THanks guys. I must have blinked at the wrong time, 'cause I didn't see what you show in that image F. U. N.

I'll call my daughter tomorrow, have her uninstall it; and reinstall it looking out for that final step.

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between the free version and the free download version; and, more importantly, where does one find the free version?

Dick
    There's no real need to do that. At the end of the trial, she'll get nags about it, and she can easily revert to the free version.

Have a look at this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerrry:
    As I wrote to start this thread, the button you're refering to is the one that I started out with for my daughter.
    Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks tonyl. That link was just what I needed to see.
    Dick

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    There's no real need to do that. At the end of the trial, she'll get nags about it, and she can easily revert to the free version.

Have a look at this.
    tonyl, that link no longer works to see that answer.

Thanks
    Try this link:
    https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/hc...-free-version-

I was aware of this fix but you have to catch the popup for this to work. I can't wait for that when fixing computers. If you don't wait for the popup, you have to follow these steps

Uninstall Malwarebytes Trial
    Run Mbamclean
    Install Malwarebytes Free carefully unchecking the trial offer in setup.

If you don't run MBAMclean, you get the expired trial again.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-08-19 at 18:18.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-08-19)