Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ##Hope they caught the brainless people who did that to the store !
    They did but being juveniles didn't get much punishment.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, starvinmarvin. Very helpful post.

Well, I bought a router tonight (one USB 2.0 port and one USB 3.0), so I'll know in a couple of days, once my new ISP has set up, whether or not things work the way I expect.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. (The Radio Shack discussion is interesting, too!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll just expand on mrjimphelps post. I added the WDCLOUD drive to the usb port of my router. Purpose of this drive is to have your own cloud. (i was getting uncomfortable with all the free cloud drives everyone was giving me). Data transfer between my desktop and my WDCLOUD drive was slow like the other cloud drives. This is a wired LAN with Cat5e cable. I spent more $$ and upgraded the desktop to a gigabyte NIC and a router that had USB 3.0.

Thanks
    Wouldn't it be cool if I plug my USB mouse into my router and then use it on both my Win7 laptop and my Surface device.......
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I connect a USB drive to my wireless router, is there any possibility that a hacker could get access to that drive?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face Router with USB drive connected.

Quote Originally Posted by sewlady View Post
    If I connect a USB drive to my wireless router, is there any possibility that a hacker could get access to that drive?
    This setup should be password protected. Encryption might provide another level of warm fuzzy feelings.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The router is password protected, but with effort, couldn't a hacker possibly guess the password? I mean, the router doesn't have a "three tries and you're locked out" system like the banks do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
    This setup should be password protected. Encryption might provide another level of warm fuzzy feelings.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by magicspeller View Post
    ...Or can I just unplug the hard drive and printer from my PC and plug them into the router?...
    I have rarely attended customers who had ADSL router with USB port(s). Only one wanted to connect a Canon USB printer scanner to the router. After much hassle I was able to get it to work as a printer (in a fashion), but the scanner refused to work point-blank.

The documentation that came with the router had a link to a website listing of compatible printers; the customers Canon was listed as compatible.

Within a couple of days the customer called me back to set the printer/scanner back up as a shared printer on their Vista PC.

Plugging a USB HDD into a router might make a bit more sense, but why not simply file-share between your computers across the network?

As far as printers go, a decent inkjet printer/scanner with WiFi and/or ethernet connection should cost less than $100 these days. If you do a lot of printing (<>500pages per month) you probably need a laser printer (much cheaper per page). A mono laser network printer should be about $150, while a colour laser network printer/scanner should be around $300.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12