4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Windows 7 Network

I need help to network my 3 Windows 7 computers: all of them run fine

The setup for my computers is: Verizon DSL Modem & Netgear Wireless N150 Router
    Computer 1: Dell E510 desktop with Win7 Home Premium SP1
    --- This computer is hardwired from the Netgear Wireless N150 Router
    --- To me, I consider this my main computer since it’s the one that runs off the Verizon DSL Modem & the Netgear Wireless N150 Router
    Computer 2: HP 6000 Pro desktop with Win7 Pro SP1
    --- This computer works wirelessly with a USB wireless adapter in another room
    Computer 3: Acer Iconia Tab W500 tablet PC with Win7 Home Premium SP1 that works wirelessly in another room
    All 3 computers run fine using the Verizon DSL Modem, Netgear Wireless N150 Router and the USB wireless adapter
    They were connected through the Netgear Wireless N150 Router but were not set up as a network
    But now I want them networked because I plan to share a certain Folder with them

So I need to network the 3 computers properly
    What I have tried to do isn’t working and when I run the Homegroup Troubleshooter it reports
    --- Some Homegroup problems are network related. We recommend that you troubleshoot network problems before continuing
    --- Troubleshooting couldn’t identify the problem
    Plus I see “No other Homegroup computers are currently available” on each computer

The status of my Homegroup Network Map for computer 1
    Computer 1: Dell E510 desktop with Win7 Home Premium is identified as Mark is on the map
    Computer 2: HP 6000 Pro desktop with Win7 Pro is identified as Larry is on the map
    Computer 3: Acer Iconia Tab W500 tablet PC with Win7 Home Premium is identified as Dad-PC is on the map

The status of my Homegroup Network Map for computer 2
    Computer 1: Dell E510 desktop with Win7 Home Premium which is identified as Mark cannot be placed on the map
    Computer 2: HP 6000 Pro desktop with Win7 Pro which is identified as Larry is on the map
    Computer 3: Acer Iconia Tab W500 tablet PC with Win7 Home Premium is identified as Dad-PC is on the map

The status of my Homegroup Network Map for computer 3
    Computer 1: Dell E510 desktop with Win7 Home Premium which is identified as Mark cannot be placed on the map
    Computer 2: HP 6000 Pro desktop with Win7 Pro which is identified as Larry is on the map

It appears to me that computer 1 (Mark) is the one that needs to appear on the other 2 computers network maps

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 1,070 Posts
    I never liked Homegroups, which actually have been shown to be slower than not using them. So, I would remove Homegroup from all computers and would put them on the same workgroup. Here is how you can set the workgroup for a computer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

Once they are all in the same workgroup, you should be able to view all of them from any of the others and you can deal with the sharing issue.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The System Properties dialog box shows they are in Workgroup
    I found a link that shows I can leave the Homegroup on each computer so I'll consider that
    Then I suspect sharing only the particular file I'm interested in should just need to be set up as shared

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also in the security tab settings for the shared folder/file you might need a permission setting or two changed for workgroup sharing. Pay scant attention to the network map, I do; always work directly with the local I.P. address for each computer's adapter to suss out network problems.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had Mark cannot be placed on the map as mentioned plus No other homegroup computers are currently available; however the shared folder runs fine across all 3 computers
    --- I've done some research on Microsoft's Forums: Talk about "Spin City"
    --- I know I haven't mentioned it yet but I also have 2 printers and they are also shared across the 3 Win 7 computers

Anyway now I'm going to the experiment with the Workgroup process as recommended especially since I want to include an XP Pro SP3 computer also
    --- I'll leave the Homegroup on each one of the Win 7 computers
    --- I'll see if I can figure out how to share the my particular in addition to 2 my printers
    --- Personally I'm in favor of the Workgroup system anyway

However, the reason on why I want to do these experiments is not only to know that I can do it but also because after the July 4 vacation time I'm going to work on the computers at the non-profit organization I volunteer at: they have 4 XP's, 2 Vista's and 1 Win7 Ultimate

Thanks
    cmptrgy,

Here's some info you may find useful.
    Networking Tips.pdf
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RetiredGeek, that's a great resource

I just finished networking my 3 Win7 & XP Pro computers using your Workgroup recommendations
    --- You guys ought to be making recommendations on the Microsoft's forums

I did 2 items
    I shared my dedicated folder and 2 printers from my main Win 7 computer and all went well
    I used http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/ as a reference

Then I reversed the procedure: I shared my dedicated folder and 2 printers from my XP Pro computer and all went well even though I had to wing it to figure it out; afterward I undid this part because I don't need it but I can envision coming up with that possibility where I volunteer at

Thanks everyone

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After setting up the workgroup, my Win7 laptop can see and access folders and files on my XP workstation, but the XP can only see the Win7 laptop but not access folders or files. I am still troubleshooting this. Any advice?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To make sure I understand what's going on
    You have folders and files to be shared on the XP computer and you can access them on your Win7 laptop
    --- If this isn't the case, we need to know
    Your issue is the XP can only see the Win7 laptop but cannot access those same shared folders and files
    --- That sounds normal to me because the actual folder and file locations are on the XP unless there is something else I'm not aware of
    --- Since the folders and files are on the XP, you manage them on your XP without accessing them on the Win7 laptop
    --- When you access those XP shared folders & files on your Win7 laptop, whatever edits etc. you do are also take effect on your XP
    --- Maybe someone else can explain it better then I did

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchbaker View Post
    After setting up the workgroup, my Win7 laptop can see and access folders and files on my XP workstation, but the XP can only see the Win7 laptop but not access folders or files. I am still troubleshooting this. Any advice?
    See Microsoft's white paper on sharing between Win7, Vista, XP and other OS at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=17168

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchbaker View Post
    Sorry, didn't look closely enough at your posts.

Since you can see your laptop from XP then the problem is probably in the "Sharing" and/or "Permissions" settings for any folders you have shared in Win7. In Explorer, right-click the folder you have shared then click on "Properties". Under the "Sharing" tab click on "Advanced Sharing" then "Permissions". There will need to be an entry for "Everyone" in the "Group or user names" field with "Full control", "Change", and "Read" all ticked. If "Everyone" is not there you will have to add "Everyone" as a user group.

You might also have to adjust permissions for "Everyone" under the "Security" tab.