Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Only TOR can access the Lounge

I've tried to access the Lounge from Chrome and IE on my PC. When that didn't work, I turned to my Android mobile. Tried Chrome mobile, Opera mobile and even the stock Android browser. None of them worked. Every other website works fine. I suspected an IP address problem and decided to download and try out TOR. Only then did the Lounge load.

Yesterday when the Lounge didn't load, I input the Lounge address into DownForEveryoneOrJustMe and it showed that the website was down. But, when I tried again today, it showed that Windows Secrets was up. That's when I suspected if my IP address was being blocked.

So, why is my IP address being blocked, mods? It's highly inconvenient to keep using TOR, just for a single website.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Forgot to mention that all my PCs and mobiles connect to a router for Internet access. The phone doesn't have an independent data connection; it relies on the Wifi. This means that all the devices have IP addresses in the same range, right?
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,049 Posts
    Your account is not blocked, which means we have done nothing "against" you as we have no reason to do so. It's also impossible to know which IP is being affected, as you are using Tor.
    We do not use IP banning. Even members who are banned can actually reach the forum, they just aren't able to read or post anything. So, I think you need to look elsewhere to find out the cause for your problem, sorry.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it just the lounge of the whole Windows Secret site?
    Yes, all devices use the same range, but your public IP is part of your ISPs range so all users in your area should be similarly affected.
    It is possible that there is a path issue between you and the WS servers so TOR gets around it because it uses a different path.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Sigh, thanks for your reply Rui.

Paul, the whole Windows Secrets website, including the Lounge has been completely blocked. This is the error I get while using Chrome:

Capture.PNG
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Administrator
    Thanks
    It seems an issue with your ISP's DNS servers. I suggest you enter an alternative DNS server in your network card settings - enter your ISP dns first and then try Google's own DNS server. This may help or not, I am not sure. I manually entered Google's DNS servers since my ISP's servers have a tendency to fail at certain hours of the day. Since I did it, no more issues have occurred.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanks again for your reply. Could you offer a little more info on that, Rui? What's Google's DNS Server?

Also, if the DNS server was a problem, why is Windows Secrets the only web site that's being affected? I thought it might affect all other sites as well.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Administrator
    Thanks
    This shows how I have configured my DNS settings:

CaptureDNS.JPG

192.168.0.1 is my router, which will be the normal DNS server (it will use the ISP's server, when contacted for name server resolution). If it fails to obtain the DNS through that, I have specified Google's DNS as alternate servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

The error message on the image you posted is pretty clear - the DNS lookup failed.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

KritzX (2014-08-30)

Thanks

Cool Typing this from Chrome!

Thank you so so much for your help on this one, Rui! I can access all pages now and I'm currently typing this reply from Chrome.

P.S: Really very sorry for thinking my IP address was blocked by you guys.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't bother to use alternate DNS settings, I let the router and DHCP sort it all out. The only issues I have are my router slows down over a period of about a month and then requires a re-boot - this is the second one with this issue, must be a generic problem with the cheap rubbish my ISP passes off as a router.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I don't bother to use alternate DNS settings, I let the router and DHCP sort it all out.
    I was of the same thinking as you. Never thought I'd have to mess around with DNS settings. Sigh, how times change...

And the weird thing is, all of my other websites seemed to load normally.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    P.S: Really very sorry for thinking my IP address was blocked by you guys.
    No worries, no harm done .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I don't bother to use alternate DNS settings, I let the router and DHCP sort it all out. The only issues I have are my router slows down over a period of about a month and then requires a re-boot - this is the second one with this issue, must be a generic problem with the cheap rubbish my ISP passes off as a router.

cheers, Paul
    Well, if I did likewise, I would have to accept being without internet access almost daily, since there is regular window where DNS access is lost. Adding the alternate servers made the problem go away, so it seems a good solution to me. I did it because during the "failure" window, not even rebooting the router solved the problem.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    KritzX,

Any change Time Warner is your ISP? They were having major problems with their DNS Servers. I'm a TW cable user but I have OPEN DNS servers in my router so the problem didn't affect me.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    @RG

Nope, Time Warner isn't my ISP. Also, I did ask this question but I didn't get an answer:

Why was windowssecrets.com the only page that was affected? If it was a problem with my ISP's DNS server, why weren't none of the other web sites affected? Perhaps you could help me solve this mystery, RG?
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast