Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Recommend PDF reader?

Adobe PDF reader keeps pushing Mcafee on me and it's now gone.

What PDF reader does the forum suggest using?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Jag,

I'm partial to Foxit, but many here use Sumatra.

Zig

Thanks
    I have been using PDF Xchange Viewer for a while and am happy with it.

They also have a free development system for non-profits that I use for some volunteer work in the 'hood.
    Last edited by RussB; 2014-06-17 at 12:59.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    I use Nitro PDF.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also using PDF X Change viewer with no issues so far.

Thanks
    Thx All.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you downloading Adobe in Firefox as I always get that option when upgrading Flashplayer, Shockwave or Reader for that browser - in IE it pushes Google Chrome but unchecking the box gets you out of it.

I was using Adobe Reader until I learned about Foxit but one of my online utility bills will only work in Reader so I dumped Foxit (even though it's supposed to be able to read all PDFs) and reverted to Reader.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm perfectly happy with Adobe Reader. As with all software, I just untick any pushware during installation. Easy as pie.

Thanks
    Yeah Sudo, Firefox is my default browser But I didn't get the option to un-check anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Are you downloading Adobe in Firefox as I always get that option when upgrading Flashplayer, Shockwave or Reader for that browser - in IE it pushes Google Chrome but unchecking the box gets you out of it.

I was using Adobe Reader until I learned about Foxit but one of my online utility bills will only work in Reader so I dumped Foxit (even though it's supposed to be able to read all PDFs) and reverted to Reader.

Thanks
    Adobe Reader now has a prechecked box to include additional software on its download page. You have to uncheck it before initiating the download.

adobe.JPG

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    And this is what you get when using Firefox.

FFUS.JPG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Jag,

I'm partial to Foxit, but many here use Sumatra.

Zig

Me too!!!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used PDFXchange, Nuance, and others, but have returned to Foxit which just slightly better IMHO

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post

I use the free version of Ninite (https://ninite.com/) to add/update most of my preferred software programs in a "start and forget" fashion. That is, once started, Ninite will install the programs you have chosen using their default settings and none of any associated crapware that might be bundled with the software. However, it does not add/update Flash. That evidently requires Ninite Pro, which my company uses.

For Flash, I use Secunia PSI (http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/). Secunia will monitor most of your installed programs and advise you when updates are available. You can then update them from within Secunia. (If I know that one or more programs have updates available, I will just run Ninite because it will do only the updates much more conveniently than Secunia.)

In both cases--Ninite and Secunia--I have not seen any additional crapware installed.

To recap, I use Ninite to install programs and to update them when I know that updates are available. I use Secunia to check to see if updates are available and to update Flash when its updates are available.

My preferred pdf reader is Foxit, though I do keep Adobe PDF Reader on my systems just in case.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I've tried Secunia and the Ninite program sounds useful but it's still another program to take up memory and I like to keep things simple.

These days Flashplayer updates follow Windows Updates as night follows day so you know that they will be available at some point in time even if you don't get the auto notifications.

I normally have their and Java's scheduler updater disabled so it's normally a manual check for that as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast