Thanks

Your home router may also be a public hotspot

http://www.howtogeek.com/184727/your...ot-dont-panic/

I don't like it for two reasons:

1. Security concerns -- I know, they say that people using the "public" side of your router can't access the private side. But if someone is really smart, maybe they can. And that's exactly who I want to keep out.

2. Quality of Service -- If you are using voice over IP (VOIP) with a separate router and modem, you can plug your VOIP adapter into the modem, and then plug the router into the VOIP adapter, thereby giving the VOIP adapter first dibs on the bandwidth. Also, if your VOIP adapter does automatic error correction (Vonage does), it can automatically fix internet problems which come up, which normally would require you to reset the modem. In fact, if you can't get on the internet, but you do get a dial tone, you know that the problem is with your router, not with your modem, and not with your incoming signal.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting, rather than go through all the rigamarole to set up a separate public (though still customer-based) network, let the customer do it for them. Coverage is probably spotty and lumpy but this seems to be a way to leverage a user-base to compete with possible threats to their commerce in the future from other fast wireless technologies such as cellular servies.

Thanks
    It would be good if they would inform the customer that they are, in fact, a public hotspot. In fact, offer to cut their bill a few dollars a month in exchange for doing that.

I have a separate modem and router, so maybe that's why they haven't told me anything about it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    BT in the UK do this and is identified as BT Fon but doubt that the customers whose connections are being piggy backed get any discounts either or that they will be able to connect to them for free.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-17 at 18:19.

Thanks
    I had never heard of this, but I'm very disinclined to use BT anyway. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FON) confirms that if your connections are piggy backed, you don't get any discount.