Thanks

Need to convert new drive to GPT but....

One of my 2TB drives on a 6 drive machine needs to be replaced with a larger 3TB drive as it is nearly full. I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64 and the catch 22 is the drive needing replacement is not the boot drive.
    According to MS (http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc725671.aspx) the boot drive will also need to be GPT to allow mixing of GPT & MBR disks on the same computer. Is there a work around or a way to change the boot drive (C) to GPT without losing all? Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Delta-V; 2014-06-17 at 14:48.
    Delta-V

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It is the capability and compatibility of the OS and mobo drivers that allow native use of non-system GPT disks. Win 7 64 bit is compatible, no problem, just change the 3TB disk to GPT when no partitions are established, partition as you will and move over to it if that's where the current 2TB drive's data is going.
    I'm using a couple external 3TB drives with 32-bit XP (loaded with MBR disks), it should not be an issue for you. Continue using the boot drive just the way it is.

Thanks
    My second question is how to get back to the original disk management scene where the disk looks undivided. It displayed the undivided disk and asked for initialization. I did not initialize and and was reading the screen when it changed to divided 2.2TB x .768TB. I did not initialize or format.
    Delta-V

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you know if you have an Intel-based system? If so, check the version of your RST driver (you may have a later version than listed):

Click Start.
    Right-click Computer and click Properties.
    At the left pane, click Device Manager.
    Double-click the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers or Storage controllers category.
    Double-click either of the following devices;
    Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
    Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller
    Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller
    Click the Driver tab.
    Check Driver Version.

If it's not 10.1 or greater you'll need to update those drivers to see the drive properly.

Thanks
    The mother board is an Asus P6X58D-E and it uses a Marvel storage driver version 1.0.0.1034. The board supports a 1st edition Core i7.
    Delta-V

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried right clicking on the drive label square in disk management and see if the option to convert to GPT is available?

There is a post about adding a GPT drive to the mobo that mentions using Disk Unlocker but I don't know what the function of that utility is exactly.

It might still be a out of date chipset driver issue as well if GPT is not available in the first option, I'm only aware of the 10.0 to 10.1 Intel RST demarcation for GPT 2.2TB+ drive compatibility.

Thanks
    Well the fix turned out to be simpler than I imagined. I updated the chipset drivers and the BIOS and on reboot and a trip to the disk management console the option to turn the 3TB drive to GPT appeared. No 3rd party disk tools required. I thought I had all the latest drivers but Asus snuck a couple in on me.
    Thank you so much for all the help! It made me think.................
    Delta-V