Thread: BSOD Win 7

New Lounger
    Thanks

BSOD Win 7

I am trying to help out a friend -- she has been experiencing black screen, auto shutdown and restart. Multiple times over weekend, stable for 24 hours, and then happened again this afternoon.

I have done my homework and collected all the data, which is posted here http://bit.ly/1qqixUN

I appreciate any suggestions / recommendations. I am working remotely on Team Viewer FYI.

Thanks in advance!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Ooh, that's a big file, must contain a kernel dump

I'll reply again a little later, once it's downloaded and I've tried to make sense of it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks like the cause is an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP condition, i.e. a memory access error by a kernel-mode process or driver. Could it be because the Samsung device appears to have both Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast antivirus services installed and running?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes it does! And then after my homework, I reset her machine to mini-dumps! :-0

Could you explain or give me a link to a description of a kernel dump? What is it? What causes it? From my initial searching, I feel like it is a catch-all for a crash without enough information (in Event Viewer, for example) to be of much use.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a look at this article, in particular the mention of one cause being possibly due to a system service or virus scanner, hence why I asked whether the STOP condition may be due to 2 different AV products running at the same time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I, too, have used Avast and MSE together because I have not found any info on MSE's effectiveness on email scanning and have not had any problems, for years.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sheltieMom View Post
    I, too, have used Avast and MSE together because I have not found any info on MSE's effectiveness on email scanning and have not had any problems, for years.
    That's the first I've heard of two AVs running together without causing problems - wonder if it's because Avast doesn't have its own firewall ?

Thanks
    Sorry, I've not replied sooner, had an interesting couple of days ...

As the other Loungers have pointed out, running 2x active AVs isn't always going to be smooth. Back when MSE was in its' infancy, there were statements around that the Avast team had worked with MSE to ensure there were no problems running them both side by side. I don't recall seeing any retraction of those statements but I very much doubt if that's still the case, both AVs have moved on a long way since then.

You will need to fully uninstall one of the AVs and continue testing, any fresh crashes/dmp files, please upload/attach them for deeper checks. http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html