Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot do a Repair Install on New PC Build

Hello folks,
    REALLY need some help here.
    I have built many pc's in the past and have finished my latest.
    With all my other builds, I have cloned my existing C:\ to a new HD (after defragging and cleaning up of course)
    then I boot up the new built pc, loading my ISO Win 7-64 ISO disk, and doing a repair install - has always worked fine until now.

When I select my os for the repair install, I get an error window that states: "This version of system Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to install"

That's as far as I can get. I am afraid to put my "original Win7 Disk in to try it" SINCE I have upgraded to Win 7 SP1.

What do I need to do to get this system up and running.

Your thoughts and help would be most appreciated.

Have a blessed one,

Tom

Thanks
    I probably think that it might be a 32 Bit system your are trying to repair with your 64 Bit Windows Disk.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Frozwire,
    The cloned hdd is 64 bit - the SP1 ISO disk is win 64. I d/l'd a new SP1 64bit iso and still have the same issue.
    Have used 64 bit os for over six years now...no 32bit in my architecture.

Thanks for the reminder though.

Tom

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If the new system supports EFI then try disabling it in the BIOS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15,
    I cloned my new vRaptor from my older pc, (which runs great) and I booted to this new clone and it worked fine - so a good "clone" (again, on my older pc)

My new pc is utilizing an ASUS x79 Deluxe with bells and whistles that I still don't understand. I used the 6gb Sata Port to hook up the new drive, vs the 3gb.
    The new system fires up fine with no issues being displayed on the "code led".

I did see something in the bios about ACHI, which is enabled, and legacy modes - which can be disabled, or legacy mode on each drive and DVD? Is this the area you are referring too?

Where exactly would I find EFI and would I turn it off for the new HD and DVD?

Thanks so very much for your reply and help.

Tom

Thanks
    If all of the PCs are basically the same, why not simply clone the image to the new PC?

That's how I've set up computers in the past -- all are the same make and model, and I set one up, and then clone to all the rest.

Even if the computers aren't identical, you can probably clone to the new PCs, and then simply download and install whichever drivers need to be installed.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-06-18 at 09:20.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    mrjimphelps,
    That's what I'm trying to do, as I've done in the past, all with success as you've had.

I've been reading about UEFI and secure mode since Sudo15 suggested to disable in bios. This "may" be the culprit - from what I am reading, there is no way a non UEFI system hd will / or can be booted with an active EUFI bios - that you must change the EUFI boot to a "Legacy" boot for those HD's and DVD's - and the article also states that with UEFI enabled, it does not recognize the MBR???

After work (this evening) I'm going to try to find the area in my bios this evening and move to "legacy mode" for my cloned hd and DVD.... I cannot find references as to any "loss of features or negatives" by booting in legacy versus utilizing the Secure Boot in EUFI type firmware....I just understand it to be more secure and designed to handle Win 8 and above.

Your thoughts would be appreciated and thank you.

Tom

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My knowledge on this is only from what I've read as well and I believe you need to disable the Secure Boot as well.

If it's an UEFI motherboard then the Boot order could include the option to boot from an UEFI USB.

If it isn't an UEFI mobo then changing ACHI to IDE or vice versa can also be the solution.

Just checked and it does have an UEFI BIOS http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/...3#.U6GwYZ1wbIU
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-18 at 10:32.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Sudo15,
    I do have ACHI compliant HDD - vRaptor -
    As stated to mrjimphelps, this evening I'm going to change the HDD & DVD to "Legacy Mode", which incorporates the original non-eufi bios.

Will post back results. Thanks so much for sticking with me with possible solutions to my issue.

Have a blessed day.

Tom

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just realized I'd made a typo in Post #4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15,
    I quickly checked my older pc - the controller is IDE/ATAPI - hdd connected to sata.
    Will I have to change my new PC bios from ACHI to IDE to read this cloned HD?

Thanks, Tom

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not really up on hardware but if it's the Raptor you're talking about, then I wouldn't have thought so but someone like CLINT or Retired Geek would probably be able to advise you better.

If it doesn't recognize the HDD then change it over to IDE.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-18 at 11:56.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15,

The new pc build does recognize the drive - and tries to repair the boot up, but that is it.

"Me" thinks that's what I'm going to "have to do". IDE is slower and ACHI and I have learned you can run a vRaptor in ACHI, but it has to be done upon initial install of Win OS.
    I also have a new 1tb SSD that I'm going to install AFTER all is up and running - but I'm going to have to check and see in bios IF you can run 1 drive in IDE mode - and another in ACHI - as I think
    on an ssd you have to be in ACHI mode............

Yes, I know the best best is to start with a fresh install - which I just hate doing as you start from scratch and seems like it takes forever to get everything the way you want it and like it.

I do have some fears that I will lose some speed and functionality by moving to Legacy Mode and to IDE Mode. Just don't know enough in these areas.

Tom

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I suppose if you downloaded another ISO onto say a Win 8 machine (if you have access) which would be UEFI, that may give you compatibility, but I'm only guessing.

I assume you got your ISO from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...wnloads.12325/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15,
    It ALL has to do with the HD itself - if the os was installed as IDE/ATAPI - then "AHCI" Bios Setup will not read it - AHCI cannot read an mbr. I'm going to try and "trick" my new hd - I'm going to boot it on my older machine (one I did clone from) do a registry hack that converts it to AHCI controlled drive - remove it and install it back into my new machine to see if that will work???

Please forgive me with my mis-spelling in the threads - it's AHCI, not ACHI..........."me" dummy.

Thanks, Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast